Stuffy Nose?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Injectible baytril doesn't tend to effect their appetite. The reason many chins go off food on baytril is due to the nasty taste.

We do not know for a fact its all the nasty taste, the thought is the baytril kills off the bacteria in the GI tract and that combined with the flavor can do it. Baytril compounded with orasweet has no nasty flavor and chins still went off feed according to my vet dentist-she only gives injectable. So we don't know the reason 100%.

So as I was checking on him through out the night, I noticed that his poos were REALLY long but they weren't extremely thin, but they were defiantly thinner than usual. He's also been very active through out the night, and started to wind down around 5:00 AM. My mom is bringing him to the vet this morning and I'm going to bring him later this afternoon. So I guess we'll see what the prognosis is from the second and third opinions later.

Dante and Gino both have and had allergies, mucous with no bacteria in it.

So you've dealt with something along the same line? Like with boogers and stuff? So there is a possibility that he doesn't have a URI? I'm still gonna bring him to the vet and stuff to be 100% sure, but it could really just be allergies?

You'd probably have to have them do a culture on the mucous to find out. Cultures take several days to grow, so it would be awhile to find out if it was just allergies or if it was a bacterial infection.

That is what happened to both chins, the vet cultured the nose discharge, they did not wheeze nor had chest congestion, just a small amount of moisture at the nose that dust would mix with and make a crust.

Both vets said that the lungs are clear and there are no other signs of a URI, however to keep on the Baytril until culture gets back for precaution and to bring him back immediatly if anything else happens.

Is he still sneezing or are there still boogers or mucus?

Will using the wood stove produce the irritants all winter? If so you might want to get an air purifier.

Latest posts

Back