Strange behavior!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alinita

Hi everyone!!!
I have 2 chinchillas, Chinchi and Kiko. My boyfriend got me chinchi, a female, for Christmas. She has always been very sweet, she use to let me have her in my hands and rub her. She was really really sweet. I got kiko, a male, in February and he was also really sweet. Chinchi and kiko got along very well. Since a few days ago chinchi has been kind of strange. She won't let me take care, she gets really anxious and tries to jump of my hands. Today I took her out of her cage and she was so anxious that she even scratched my chest.
I don't know why she's been acting this way. Could that happen if she's pregnant or something? I really don't know. :(

Were you intending on her getting pregnant???

I would separate them!!

Of course pregnancy can cause a female to change her behavior...I am just hoping that your female is old/large enough to pass a kit safely if you have only had her since Christmas, how old is she? Get your regular and emergency vets lined up and start saving for the vet fund just in case.

Yes she is old enough, Chinchi is 1 year and a half and Kiko is 9 months.

But is she of breeding quality? DO you have a pedigree for her? It is always awkward do breed chinchillas when you have no knowledge of their genetic, as they could carry diseases that they'll pass along. As nobody wants chins to suffer, so we're strongly advising people to breed only quality chins from good breeders.

Hope everything goes well for her. As everyone said, get another cage ready to seperate the male when the kits are born, get everything set up in case you need to hand feed 24h hours a day. And get the phone of a good exotic vet in case she needs a C section or anything emergency visit.

Unless you are trying to breed them, you should separate them now. That way, if she isn't pregnant, she won't become pregnant. Mark your calendar for 111 days from now and get things ready for the probable upcoming birth.

Back