Stopped Playing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellembas

My only chin Padfoot was a rescue and so took a lot of work to get over some of her fears about people and the new environment, especially as I moved house a couple of months after I first got her, but over the half a year that I've had her I feel she's really progressed.

She loves her playtime and I haven't had an issue with that since early summer, but yesterday and today she's shown no interest at all. She wouldn't come out to my hands so I just left her bottom floor door open and went to sit and read but half an hour later and she still hadn't budged.
I put out a dust bath and shook it a bit which got her attention and she jumped down a few shelves, but then went back up to the top. I even put out a new cat climbing tower I'd been saving for her first birthday next month, and nothing.

She's eating and drinking regularly, and at night I hear her jumping around in her cage, she just doesn't want to come out to play. Should I be concerned or should I just let her get on with it for a few days?

Hope Padfoot is doing OK. There are some days where my female won't come out of her cage. She is my shy one. My male is the escape artist. Can't even crack the door for that one. I usually do what you did. Leave the bottom door open and just sit and talk to her. Sometimes I'll open her top door and put my shoulder up and she will climb on and I'll lower her down. I have been waiting to give treats until after I put them back in after playtime. Sort of a reward for coming out and going back in without having to chase them.

Some nights my Rosey wont come out for playtime, or is noticeably reluctant to. I've found it roughly correlates with her heat cycle. It might be pesky hormone fluctuations making her grumpy!

My male chin is like that sometimes. He usually lets me pet him all over, so if he acts sort of standoffish when I go to pet him, I know he's having "one of those days." I just leave him alone in that case since that seems to be what he wants. He's usually back to his usual friendly self the following day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreeing with what everyone else has said; some days my chin has one of those "leave me alone" attitudes where she doesn't want to come out from her fleece tube or even let me cuddle her. She's incredibly demanding with things she wants, so I was very worried when she first started doing that as well. I've learned just to let her do her own thing until it wares off, usually after a few days she's back to be her usual self.

Back