Still Somewhat Unsure...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:wave: Hi & Welcome to the forum BTW.

I have checked out the forums but have a few questions to ask. Please help as much as you can thanks;

1. Water - I see they cannot have tap due to the bacteria. Could you recommend any filters or a cheap water that will do the trick? Are there any filters that would work?
Since you are based in the UK - here most breeders & pet owners use tap water without problems. The standards applied to our water are pretty high & I have only ever come across one breeder who had a problem with giardia in the tap water.
If you're concerned then it is worth checking out your local water authority to see if they have problems with the purity levels of the water supply

2. Gender - I decided on girls as I thought two males may fight sometimes or play a bit too rough. Also the 'hair-ring' kinda put me off haha. Is this a good choice or can males be just as good and well behaved as females?

As the others have said already, not much difference between the sexes. Females can have an unexpected punch-up just as well as males can. A good friend of mine had 2 girls fall out after 6 years of living perfectly happily together so you can never tell.

3. Cost - What are the average monthly running costs for a Chinchilla? Obviously with the current financial climate, I dont want to have to give them away in the future. This is mostly about feed, water, ect. though do include potential larger payments that may need to be made during the year.

Once you've done the initial costly set-up for your chins plus cages & all accessories, chins are pretty inexpensive to keep. Depending on where you source your pellets & hay from the costs can vary - pet shops are often more expensive but even then you shouldn't be paying more than around £10 per week for basic food/hay/treats/toys.
Again, it all depends on where you buy them from.
Your biggest expense will always be vet bills - it is essential that you either have money set aside for unexpected vet bills or have a "Flexible Friend" (credit card). Emergency treatment for chins can be very expensive.

4. Feed, Water, Bedding ect. - Coudl any UK Chinchilla owners please recommend any good providers and costs, or perhaps let me know what they would use and its cost?

I use http://www.onlynaturalpetsupplies.co.uk & http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk, both of which are excellent value & support UK rescue work.
I also use http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk
John Hopewell has already been mentioned - he is lovely & makes excellent cages & accessories. He also sells hay, chinchilla pellets, & dust.

5. Temperature - My room is almost always below 70 so no worry of hitting any higher. During the day, whilst at work, I will probably leave the window slightly ajar to allow some cool air to come in and take out the musky hot air. Would going below 50 be as harmful as passing 70 given their thick coats?

As long as the ambient temperature does not creep over 70 then you'll be fine. Over that you need to start looking at air-conditioning.
In terms of lower temperatures, as long as it's not freezing they will be fine. Those breeders who keep their chins outdoors here rarely bother with additional heat except individual heat pads for pregnant females.

6. Sleeping - Do they sleep on or (like hamsters) within their bedding?

They don't need bedding but you'll sometimes find them snoozing on a pile of discarded hay, just because they can. ;)

7. Fleece Liners & Toilet - I hear alot of people use fleece liners as they can just be shook out and washed rather than use wood shavings. Would the lining be okay to be on the bottom of the cage or would they chew at this?
The majority of chinchilla cages in the Uk are mesh floored - most breeders do not use shavings & just line the cage trays (or under cage shelves) with newspaper.
If you're going to use shavings you may find the chins have a quick nibble on them to begin with - just because they can ;)

8. Breeders - I have been looking at local breeders, though I know a store called Pets At Home sells Chinchillas. I was wondering if anyone in the UK knew of a North West breeder so as to minimise trauma on transporting the cute little boys/girls?

It is worth looking for a responsible chinchilla breeder near you rather than going to P@H.
Depending on what you require & where you are based you may also like to consider rescue chins.
The biggest UK dedicated chinchilla rescue is in Northampton & is always looking for homes for chins. http://www.rj-chinchillarescue.co.uk It's always worth contacting Jane to see if she has any pairs available.
BTW most chins don't mind travelling - they will often just snooze the entire journey away quite happily. I think we worry more about them than is necessary at times. As long as they cannot overheat - chins should not really be transported in warm weather & air-con in the car is essential if you do have to take them anywhere (vets for example).

9. Baths - I know, I know. NO WATER! :) They use very fine sand or dust baths for 15-20 minutes for 2-3 times a week. Anyone recommend some?

Sepoilite is what you need. You can often buy chinchilla dust online or in pet shops (John Hopewell sells it).

Okay, thats about it. For now. Haha. If you can help out with one question, great. All - fantastic. I just want to see peoples opinions and get some help. I dont wish to take on a Chinchilla then find I am missing something or have the wrong feed, bedding, ect.

If you feel you have anything to ask of me or wish to say anything else, I encourage you to do so. Don't think you will insult me, after all its about their health and happiness at the end of the day. So the more I know the better.

The only other thing I will add is find a chinchilla competent vet nearby. There's nothing worse than having an emergency situation & not knowing where a good vet can be found.

John Hopewell does chinchilla food, hay & dust.
http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.asp?template=productlist.page.xml&CategoryId=9
He sells Beaphar Care + chinchilla food which comes highly recommended - if I had a small number of chins I would use it as my main pellet feed. Although it looks like a mix (different colours & shapes) it is actually an extruded feed & the nuggets contain the same ingredients. I use Beaphar with some of my oldies & also as a treat for my other chins.

He also does timothy hay at reasonable prices, dust in 1Kg bags, & Readigrass (Friendly Pure Dried Grass). You can use the Readigrass as an alternative to the hay every so often - it is very green, smells wonderful & the chins generally love it.

As for vet problems - chins can develop tooth problems, can injure themselves (breaks, sprains, falls) & get gut problems (diarrhoea, constipation, bloat).
For example, an emergency appointment out of hours with a chin who has broken a limb can run into the £100s.

Last edited:
John Hopewell does chinchilla food, hay & dust.
http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.asp?template=productlist.page.xml&CategoryId=9
He sells Beaphar Care + chinchilla food which comes highly recommended - if I had a small number of chins I would use it as my main pellet feed. Although it looks like a mix (different colours & shapes) it is actually an extruded feed & the nuggets contain the same ingredients. I use Beaphar with some of my oldies & also as a treat for my other chins.

He also does timothy hay at reasonable prices, dust in 1Kg bags, & Readigrass (Friendly Pure Dried Grass). You can use the Readigrass as an alternative to the hay every so often - it is very green, smells wonderful & the chins generally love it.

As for vet problems - chins can develop tooth problems, can injure themselves (breaks, sprains, falls) & get gut problems (diarrhoea, constipation, bloat).
For example, an emergency appointment out of hours with a chin who has broken a limb can run into the £100s.

I see. Thanks, I may use John for my hay and feed needs. How much do they eat a day? Like grams wise.

I am pretty sure I did not give bad advise as I know for a fact that breeders and most chinchilla owners give their chinchillas tap water. There is NO way on earth breeders that have hundreds of chinchillas give there chins bottled or spring water. It would cost WAY too much money.
If the water is safe and chemical free then yes, you can give tap water.

You're wrong. A breeder of quality chinchillas knows exactly how much crappy water can affect their animals. Of all the breeders I know, and I know quite a few, I know of one who uses tap water without a filtration system. He feels if he can drink it, they can drink it. I have over 300 chinchillas and every week I drive my butt to the store, take in my clean water jugs, and buy 40 or 50 gallons of reverse osmosis water out of the special machine. It's .37 cents a gallon, which is not that Godawful expensive when you consider the amount of money I have in my animals.

Talk to a real breeder, JAGS, Becky West, etc., and ask them their feelings on plain ole' unfiltered tap water. One of the first things I learned when getting into breeding was how important my water source was and just how badly it can affect my herd.

different chins will eat different amounts. my Rhino eats an average of half a small handful of pellets each day. when i got him around the end of February, i bought a 5 pound bag of pellets that is now just over half full.

with hay, it's more so in how much they waste (kick into litter pan, toss out of their cages, etc) than how much they actually eat. i lucked out with an incredibly tidy chin (yay!) that never wastes pellets and there might be a half dozen sprigs of hay outside his cage or in his litter pan a day at most. since i got him, i've bought two bags of oxbow hay (one timothy, one botanical) but neither bag has been used completely yet.

each chin is different in their eating habits, and it will take you some time to figure out how much your future chins eat. most members, including myself, will recommend free feeding both hay and pellets.

Last edited:
Talk to a real breeder, JAGS, Becky West, etc., and ask them their feelings on plain ole' unfiltered tap water. One of the first things I learned when getting into breeding was how important my water source was and just how badly it can affect my herd.

This is where I find the difference between the US & UK interesting - we have pretty good tap water here (which is covered by EU legislation & inspected regularly) so we don't generally use filters or reverse osmosis water.
Breeders, pet owners & rescues here use unfiltered tap water with no problems.

This is where I find the difference between the US & UK interesting - we have pretty good tap water here (which is covered by EU legislation & inspected regularly) so we don't generally use filters or reverse osmosis water.
Breeders, pet owners & rescues here use unfiltered tap water with no problems.

Different states, cities, and counties here have different regulations as well as general federal regs. One cities water supply may come from a reservoir while another (like my city) comes from artesian wells hundreds of feet underground. My city has some of the cleanest and best tasting water in the country because it has filtered and stored underground for hundreds of years, while up the road a couple of hours, the water is terrible and sulfury.

Just so you know, Brita does not filter out microbial cysts (giardia) so it is not recommended.

I believe it's only the Brita pitchers that do not filter out microbial cysts. Either way it's best to look at the filter to see whether or not it filters out giardia, etc.

I use DuPont 4 phase protection & filtration. I got it from walmart . It does filter the giardia. it comes with a 200 gallon filter and then i also bought a 3 pack of the 100 gallon filters to go with it. on the top there is a window that tells you the filter size and then there is a digital counter on the front of the mount and it tells you how many gallons from that filter you've used. I really like it so far.

http://www2.dupont.com/Water_Filtration/en_US/products/faucet.html
the first one is the one that i use.

Thats the one I use too.

A's for how much do they eat....that varies upon chin and day! Some days I notice my boys eats lots of hay & less pellets. Other days it's the reverse. Some days it's a combo. You get to know your Chins & adjust food levels so there is less waste.

As for filtering vs. not filtering the water, wouldn't you rather be better safe than sorry? Before we put a Pur3 filter on our faucet, we had several bouts of chins with loose poos. Those were the days before I was on this forum and knew that water should be filtered... but now we have a filter and have very rarely had loose poos. Filters and filtering systems aren't that expensive. I think the Pur3 faucet attachment was something like US $30 and the filters are reasonably priced as well (and last a reasonable amount of time if you don't have a ton of chins). Personally, I would rather pay the money, even if some think it is "wasting" the money, for my peace of mind that I KNOW with the filter the water is safe.

Whilst I appreciate that the US obviously has issues with the purity of water I would like to bring the discussion back to the UK where the OP is from ......... here we do not (generally) have a problem with tap water & the OP does not have to use a filter unless he really wants to ......... there are no real issues with UK water causing problems for chinchillas - the vast majority of breeders, rescues, & pet owners use unfiltered tap water.

Last edited:
I can only really agree with some answers as you've gotten a number of them so far.

Apparently your tap water is fine.

The cons of females and males is, from what I understand so far, spraying and hair ring checks, respectively. Also maybe males humping things, but that's pretty much pertinent to any male of any species.

No idea about cost or feed brands as I live in the States. A word about costs though--my advice would be to splurge on quality things the first time around. Many of us have upgraded cages and what not only because we realized after that we couldn't pull the cheap ones off as acceptable. It would have been easier to just buy the expensive, quality one on the first place. I remember the John Hopewell cages were the first good ones I saw online. They look quite nice and I was sad I lived so far away. The initial costs may seem overwhelming, but they will save you in the long run.

Buy a durable, sturdy cage; safe toys, treats and accessories (bowl, water bottle, dust); a good feed and hay; find a good vet; have an emergency kit (and fund); know pertinent medical information and you're set.

Chins may nibble at fleece but if they are actually eating it, then you should take it out of the cage.

I think it's incredibly smart you're doing all this research beforehand. It will save you some money and a lot of stress down the road because you'll know what's going on and how to handle it.

Last edited:
Well thanks for all the info guys. Currently (as shown on the last page) I have almost everything I would like planned out though no purchases yet just in case.

I will phone our Water provider and ask about the levels of harmful bacteria just to make extra sure and pure everyones mind at rest.

I can't seem to find a Chinchilla vet though, or one dealing in exotic species. I hope someone out there can give me advice on this and what I need to have myself just incase.

About the chins health; if I got two males what would be the frequency of them getting hair-rings, and what are the steps to remove them? I dont wish to rack up vet bills in something I could do.

As for the humping, I believe putting in a toy or something for them to 'hump' will deal with this.

Then again its entirely what the breeders have - I'm not fussed on gender that much though leaning 51% to males. Haha.

My final ask of you all is if you could check the products I may purchase, shown on either page two or three, and comment whether they are good choices.

Finally, does anyone know of other breeders in the UK preferably in the North West? I've contacted two who after a week haven't gotten back in touch, so would like to just put out a few more quieries whilst I wait for a response.

Thanks ever so much guys.

Everyone I know personally gives filtered water to their chinchillas, counting myself. No one is asking to give bottled or spring water, just to give water that you know is free of giardia and other cysts and contaminates. You say "If the water is safe and chemical free then yes, you can give tap water", have you had your water tested? Do you know that it is indeed safe? How many people do you know who goes out of their way to have their tap water tested?

When we got our new faucet (before we got ruby and coya) we got one that had a filter built in. It is safe for chinchillas if u make sure to look up the brand of ur fAucet and make SURE it is chemical free. I did this before I got coya and ruby.

Everyone's already mentioned a ton of useful information, but as far as cost, I think there are a couple things left out. Granted, this really depends on where you are, but I'm on a coast and needed an ac unit to keep the room cool enough. We also ended up needing an air purifier to keep dust out of everything (the dust is granular so it can damage, say electronics which we have a lot of). That and I also killed our vacuum getting it to pick up so much poop and hay pieces, so we went ahead and got a shop vac to deal with shavings and hay. I fully attribute those costs to the boys, but of course I think it was completely worth it. Granted, we only really paid about $150 total for all of those together with some really good luck, but otherwise those would have totaled about $700 had we not gotten the amazing finds we did.
Thus far, I've only really had a single check up on the boys and have done everything else at home. The check up for both was $40 and I might continue to do that once a year at most, but otherwise standard vet bills are only really expensive if there is an emergency, and that's true of any pet.
I will say cost-wise, that having the boys led me to build a lot of my own shelves and sew my own fleece items, which means I bought the items to make some of those; my circular saw wasn't cutting it (ha!) so I bought a jigsaw, but that is obviously useful for more than just the boys. I don't know if you'd count those in cost, but I thought someone should point out the "other" things that chinchillas don't quite "need" but are sure important to have.

Hair rings--I don't know personally but some get them, some don't. I don't really know if there's an average frequency. I've heard to do a check once a month but maybe some other folks with male chins can tell you how often they actually do it. If the chin gets a hair ring, you need to sort of slide it off, maybe with some type of lubricant (do not know which type is safe). You can do checks and deal with most of the hair ring issues on your own, as most people do.

Many buy "cuddle buddies" which are basically used as pillows for females and surrogate mates, so to speak, for males and that seems to work for people.

The products you listed from hammocky hammocks and chinchillas 2 and all those look good. I am curious what hammocky hammock's "nibble detection system" consists of, I giggled when I read that.

Back