Still have trouble telling them apart

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcat55

I have had 2 standard females for 3 months now that are at least a year old, give or take a couple of months. They were purchased at petsmart a few months apart, but the owner was allergic; I was the lucky one who answered the ad for 2 free chins with a cage! :)

Anyway, my 2 young daughters are pretty sure they can tell them apart, but I have trouble unless I see the line on one of their legs where there was a fur slip early on. Is there anything common to distinguish them that is easy to look for? I have learned a lot on this forum, but have not run across this type of post and don't know how to search for this subject! Thanks and Happy New Year!

Attachments

• 2011-10-31_07-05-35_776.jpg
    2011-10-31_07-05-35_776.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 2011-11-13_17-44-49_172.jpg
    2011-11-13_17-44-49_172.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 91
Does the one on the right have more white on the chest? Maybe check their ears to see if they have any little nicks in them to distinguish them?

Anyway, they both look like beautiful little ladies!

I use to have problems with Ivy and Holly they are sisters and standard grays. Then I picked up one Holly will keep one ear down most of the time, and Crysta informed me that Holly has a more curled up tail then Ivy. You just have to look for the little things.

It gets better! I Promise!

Some people will put a dot with a permanent marker in the ear to distinguish between two chins that look alike. I find that this wears off very easily. Personally I find that trimming the tail of one of them works better for me because you can see the difference from near, far and from almost any angle.

Thanks for the encouragement. One of my daughters thinks that one has more diamond shaped eyes, and that one of them has ears that stick up more, and sometimes that works, but not always! Maybe by the time the fur slip grows back I'll know for sure!

I also heard to trim one of the tails.

0.o
Am i the only one that finds something rong with that? Sounds like telling two ppl apart by chopping one guys arm off. :wacko:

--

Anyway... I no how u feel bearcat.

Mother_Daughter.jpg

Father_Son.jpg

Those are older pictures. The Daughter in the first one was much younger. Now that they are growing up its become very hard to tell them apart from sight.

The two best identifiers iv found for mine is; 1 learning each chins habbits and movments. Each one often has little diffrences between them. After a while you can start to pick up on them. Mine even have very specific spots they like to perch for a while. And they always use the same spot. (as u can see in htose old pics)

Second is their personality. Every chin has their own. And they usaly differ from one another. I use that as a distiction between them more times then anything.

I do a red sharpie marker dot. I have 2 Violet Wrap twins that look a like. Personalities are completely different though. One is more hyper I guess than the other. She always has to be in your face when you are trying to do something. lol

I've noticed black fades easily. Red fades but leaves more of a spot that doesn't blind in than the black.

Personality deffinetly tells the difference

Maybe one of the two has bigger eyes

If my two were the same color I think I could tell the difference

One is
Bigger
Bigger eyes/ears
One is sort of like grumpy old man
One moves like a laggy game

Personally, I see a huge difference in facial structure so I would be able to tell them apart (One of them is more blocky while the other has a more pointy face) but I've gotten good at telling the little differences since I've worked with a lot of Dutch rabbits that looks extremely similar.

I see that their eyes are shaped different, then like someone else said one of them looks more like they have a whiter belly and the forehead is angled a bit different.
Eventually you'll tell them apart. Just takes time.

Well, I don't have this problem because I have 4 different colored chins! I would think if you can't tell them apart, just trim their tails.

0.o
Am i the only one that finds something rong with that? Sounds like telling two ppl apart by chopping one guys arm off. :wacko:

Yep. You're the only one that finds something wrong with that. Hair is dead. It's like getting a hair cut. Do you feel it each time the scissors cut a strand of hair? No.

Godofgods - you need to go back and re-read the thread. We said to "trim" the tail. No where does it say to cut the tail.

I don't think that compares to ripping someones arm off. That's a bit sensational don't you think?

I definitely notice differences in personality (one bites and pushes my hand away, and one likes to get a bit of a scritch some times, but not always) and I also know where they like to perch and sleep. It's playtime in the hallway when they are running about and jumping around us that I have a hard time; or if I want to catch them to put them in the carrier to get to the safe playtime hallway, and they are jumping like crazy to get away from me. I am sure they are laughing hilariously together when I stick my hand through the top door of the cage and they hop across my arm to get to the other side of the cage or jump down to the ground level to escape me!

I will keep looking for the eyes and forehead to distinguish as we get to know each other better.

Also, the first time I read of "trimming the tail" I immediately thought of trimming it like a doberman's tail, and had to think about it a while before realizing it was the fur that was trimmed!

Yep. You're the only one that finds something wrong with that. Hair is dead. It's like getting a hair cut. Do you feel it each time the scissors cut a strand of hair? No.

I wasnt aware of that. I naturally assumed their tail would be like the tails of any other animales iv had. (Dog, ferret, ect) Do anything to them and they will be in pain. So i figured it would it would be the same for most animals tails.

Gosh, maybe I should have been more specific and said trim the "hair" on the tail and not just trim the tail.

I didn't realize that people would even think that I would consider amputating tails just to tell chinchillas apart from one another. :)

Gosh, maybe I should have been more specific and said trim the "hair" on the tail and not just trim the tail.

I didn't realize that people would even think that I would consider amputating tails just to tell chinchillas apart from one another. :)

Well that was what i thought u ment. So you can see why i was a bit concerned...

Latest posts

Back