Stethoscope + Chin = I need lessons x_x

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoaea

O.o
Ok so I retired my first ever nursing stethoscope last month, and its just sitting around my house begging to be used. (It has been sterilized from hospital use btw.) I also have two chinnies sitting in a cage looking cute...

I did a search and I found people describing the results of using a stethoscope but not the details on how or were on the body...

My question to you out there that listen to your own chins or are vet tech/vets is:

1) how do I get them to remain still long enough to hear anything (if the trick is the burrito, how do you fit the stethoscope into that equation)
2) where is the Chinchillas point of maximum impulse, or different areas you check and for what reason.
3) were are the pulse points for palpation of the chins heart rate
4) are there any strange sounds (i mean compared to human sounds) that would be normal in a chin so I don't freak out when I first listen?
5) also should I use the diaphragm, bell or both for the chin, and if both which where and for what type of sounds.

I figure I need to know their healthy base line and get to know their sounds so that one day if I suspect a URI or heart murmur I can tell that something is off. I am an RN so feel free to use medical terms when explaining if you want too.

<3

I usually either burrito them or lay a towel over them to listen. It is difficult to get a bpm due to how rapid their pulse is. The heart is best heard on the left side of the chest close to the arm pit, but due to the extremely small thoracic space you can hear it fine from any location of the chest. Lung sounds are very quick as well, you mainly are just listening for wheezing otherwise you won't hear much at all from a healthy lung. I have been able to locate a femoral pulse on a couple chins, but it's pretty difficult due to their tiny veins.

I use it mainly for gut noises, place the tympanum low on the abdomen, well below the ribs, and listen for soft, intermittent gurgling sounds. If the tummy is silent, you may be facing stasis, loud gurgles, snap crackles and pops-gas. Listen to healthy gut noises so you can compare if you are trying to diagnose bloat or stasis. For the layman to hear a murmur it has to be severe-usually it will be a clicker ticker or a washing machine noise.

I usually either burrito them or lay a towel over them to listen. It is difficult to get a bpm due to how rapid their pulse is. The heart is best heard on the left side of the chest close to the arm pit, but due to the extremely small thoracic space you can hear it fine from any location of the chest. Lung sounds are very quick as well, you mainly are just listening for wheezing otherwise you won't hear much at all from a healthy lung. I have been able to locate a femoral pulse on a couple chins, but it's pretty difficult due to their tiny veins.

When you burrito them do you tuck the stethoscope in the towel or use a cloth that's thin enough to hear through? Is their femoral going to be in the inside crease at their hip or do you feel lower down? (although I dont think mine would tolerate that haha)

I use it mainly for gut noises, place the tympanum low on the abdomen, well below the ribs, and listen for soft, intermittent gurgling sounds. If the tummy is silent, you may be facing stasis, loud gurgles, snap crackles and pops-gas. Listen to healthy gut noises so you can compare if you are trying to diagnose bloat or stasis. For the layman to hear a murmur it has to be severe-usually it will be a clicker ticker or a washing machine noise.

Ooo gut noises why didn't I think of that!

As far as murmurs go I figured it would be hard just because of their fast HR, I mean in humans at least there is enough time between beats you can just listen for extra sounds. Are the clicks and ticks similar to human murmurs at least? (although murmurs arn't my main concern atm as I would only need to check if I breed chins)

Thanks for the replies guys! If anyone else has more to add bring it on. They are running off all their evening energy atm so I'm going to try again when they are worn out. xP

Edit: oh yes and from other posts I gathered that normal HR is near the 200's and respiratory below 80 right?

Gino had a class 5, young Gino you could hear multiple clicks during the systole, as Gino aged and approached congestive heart failure, the sound became whooshing and washing machine like late in the systole, you could almost hear it with the naked ear up to his chest, so yes clicker tickers can be heard on the mitral valve-a click late in the systole, multiple clicks durning it as the issue declines or whooshing when the problem is severe. Heart rate of a unstressed chin is 100-150 per min, resp 40-80 per min.

Last edited:
I always go inside the towel when I'm burritoing to listen. The femoral is high up on the inner thigh. I've only been able to feel it on a chin that was under anesthesia.

HR is somewhere around 200, usually more in my experience but that's because they're in the clinic and usually stressed. That is about right for respirations, once again in a stressed chin.

I have heard a few murmurs on chins. Dawn explained the sounds well.

Latest posts

Back