Startling behavior, what is this!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGarl

Last night my male chin, Bentley, did something strange that I've never had him do before.

We discovered he loves organic rolled oats, it's like a drug to him. He goes bonkers when we give him some and will practically maul us for more.

He was out last night and I fed him a couple small pinches and decided that was enough. He decided he wanted more and grabbed the baggie that held the oats.

I took it away from him and said no. He grabbed my hand tight between his two front feet and also grabbed a bit of skin in a pinch. Then it seemed like he was humping my hand. Or jerking it around or something. He startled me and I got scared because I thought he would bit down harder on my skin though I barely felt his teeth and he didn't even leave a red mark.

I pushed him off my hand and told him, "No". He did it again and I kecked at him. And he let go and ran away. Afterwards he was his nice polite little self again.

Could someone please tell me what happened!? Was that a temper tantrum, an act of dominance? Once chins do that do they begin to bite more?

I have an irrational fear of being bitten. Does this mean he's crossed a boundary and will begin to bite?

Sounds like he was trying to assert dominace. It would be a normal behavior.

My chinch does that sometimes **** grab the bag of treats and try to open them but when we give him a look that says "I see you" and sometimes say his name, he stops trying and runs away. They like to think they can get away with some stuff but don't like them own you

My chinch does that sometimes **** grab the bag of treats and try to open them but when we give him a look that says "I see you" and sometimes say his name, he stops trying and runs away. They like to think they can get away with some stuff but don't like them own you

Chins are such little rascals, they are so cute to watch. I'll make sure Bentley doesn't repeat his performance without stopping him. He's always been pretty well behaved (well, as much as a chin can be, I guess)

I think it was frustration because I had been sick and he missed two days of out of cage time. The treat thing was like the last straw I think.

If your chinchilla is over 8 months he may get a little frisky and hump you, pillows, stuffed animals or anything that may resemble a female chinchilla. I recommend getting a cuddle buddy for him to use as a substitute. When they try they will squeeze with the front paws and hold your hand/ arm with their teeth, not bite. Oscar, who was two when we got him, was the only one who we had a problem with. When he was in the mood we direct him to the cuddle buddy. I'm so glad at six he's outgrown this.

Also I've never had any fear one of my three boys would bite me. They are very gentle by nature and mine only try to hurt each other. When we were trying to intro them I had to put my hand between them to stop a fight. Oscar accidentally had my finger in his mouth and still didn't bite. I'm still amazed by this because I'm sure he would have bit Edgar.

Back