standlee hay cubes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chins1222

i was hoping to try some hay cubes for the boys but they will not eat timothy hay --little brats--haha so i doubt they would eat timmy hay cubes either and i don't want to buy a whole bag if they wont eat it.

anyway i noticed that standlee made a hay cube from orchard grass hay and i just wanted to make sure it would be ok to give them those cubes instead.

i dont think it will be a problem but i wanted to check to make sure before i try to get my tsc to order a bag(i don't remember seeing that one there the last time i was in the store but i don't remember for sure)

also i only have two chins how long would a 50lb bag(thats the smallest u can get right?) stay fresh before i would have to get rid of it?

thanks

Yep, orchard grass is fine. Hay cubes stay fresh quite a while if you store them in a cool, dry place. They are already dried and compressed, so it's kind of hard for them to get stale.

Will they eat Timmy if there's alfalfa in it?
I get 40lbs of Standlee timothy/alfalfa mixed cubes at my local TSC.

they will only eat timmy hay if it is the very soft stuff
if it has any harder/stiffer pieces they don't touch it at all

so i feed mostly orchard grass hay b/c of how soft it is.

yet they will eat alfalfa and oat hay which are both pretty stiff --go figure ha

so i think they just don't like timothy hay very much, i doubt they would eat the timmy/alfalfa mix either

so hopefully my TSC can order it for me

thanks

Back