Stained fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby88

Yuki's fur is completely yellow-orange and stained on the bottom. I also notice her grooming the area every once in a while. Is this normal? Momo isn't stained at all. Could this be a sign of a larger problem, or is she just messy?

She's also been barking a lot more. Last night she barked constantly for about 3 hours on and off. I tried talking to her and staying in the room with her so she wouldn't be upset, but it didn't help. Is she just noisy for no reason? I'm starting to worry about her a little.

Is this new or did she come to you this way? have you noticed whether she is straining to urinate? Do you know how much water she is getting or do the 2 of them share the same water bottle? If she is dehydrated her urine would be a darker color and cause more staining. Have you noticed whether or not she sits in her urine after going?

If both things are new (the staining and the barking), I would suggest a vet visit to rule out anything urinary, some chins are pre-disposed to stones which can be painful.

I see her drinking plenty of water. She doesn't drink more than she should, but I see her drinking at least once per day.

She's had the stains since I got her, I'm pretty sure. But I didn't want to bother them too much when I first brought them home, so I never saw under her the first few days. She does tend to pee on top of the wooden hidey house, and sit there for a while on it.

She's a very, very white chinchilla, so I'm thinking maybe it just shows up more on her than on other chins?

She has been occasionally barking at about 6:00am. She barks two or three times and then doesn't bark again until the next night. But last night, she was barking a lot more.

It sounds like the staining is from sitting in her urine. You can clean her with an unscented baby wipe and then once she is thoroughly dry, give her a dust bath. Add a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch to the dust. It will help with the staining. It may take a few times to get rid of the stains.

As far as the barking goes, it sounds like she is hearing something that happens at the same time each night. It's probably some thing you are used to hearing and don't pay any attention to it.

But there's nothing that happens at 6:00am every night. Dog doesn't bark, no trains, no cars, nothing special. So it makes me worry. If there was some noise at 6 I knew about, I wouldn't worry so much

She's still young though right? My Zeph barked every day for...heck a couple of weeks. I want to say for closer to two months. She just was nervous. It's been a little while now since I heard her bark, but she did today. However, it's more of an occasional thing now. They are still in a new environment and from everything I understand they are one of the slowest animals to 'come around'. I'd just give her time.

I see her drinking plenty of water. She doesn't drink more than she should, but I see her drinking at least once per day.

She's had the stains since I got her, I'm pretty sure. But I didn't want to bother them too much when I first brought them home, so I never saw under her the first few days. She does tend to pee on top of the wooden hidey house, and sit there for a while on it.

She's a very, very white chinchilla, so I'm thinking maybe it just shows up more on her than on other chins?

She has been occasionally barking at about 6:00am. She barks two or three times and then doesn't bark again until the next night. But last night, she was barking a lot more.

I also have a white chin and I have a very similar situation with him! Occasionally his fur on his belly near his tail is slightly yellow stained. After a few dust baths the stain goes away eventually. And yes I think because they are white, these stains tend to show up a lot more.

I agree that the barking is probably something environmental that you've grown accustomed to. Shortly after Nixi and Buddha were weaned, they started randomly barking at 3am every night. Once they would start, and I would ignore them, the adults would chime in to make sure I heard the babies. After a few nights of being woken up by a tone-deaf chinchilla chorus, I finally set an alarm for 2:45. It turned out that a refrigerated truck delivers dairy products to the convenience store across the street at 3am every morning. I couldn't hear the truck at all, but they definitely could. I declared to all that it was okay, pet everyone individually, and haven't heard a peep since. God help me if I wake them up during the day though! :)

Latest posts

Back