Squishy Poops - Oxbow or Overeating?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudmom25

Spaz is a 1yr old boy that I took in as a rescue a little over a month ago. We have been dealing with a lot of squishy poops. When he came to me he was eating a no name small animal pellet. I switched him and the others to Oxbow right away. All the others have adjusted with no problems but Spaz is having a tough time.

Spaz is currently housed with his dad and baby brother. He is a food bowl hoarder and will sit and eat from the bowl a LOT.

So, do you think the Oxbow could be causing the squishy poops or perhaps overeating? Whenever the pellets are pulled, the squishy poops clear up.

Thanks!

ETA: I put appx. 6 tablespoons of food in the dish each day as their are the three of them together.

Last edited:
Is the poop smelly, slimey, or colored oddly?

It may be the food change, but the overeating causes a bit of concern of a parasite. Parasites rob the body of nutrients, so the animal overeats to try to compensate.

I would pull pellets and feed hay, and suppliment with acidophilus. At least a 10 billion count. When I treat diarrhea I usually empty a capsule of 10 billion count acidophilus into a dose of Lifeline and feed that to them daily. I also sprinkle the acidophilus over a piece of shredded wheat.

Usually a vet will perform a stool sample without seeing the animal. You can call around and ask and see if you can bring in a fresh sample for them to test. If the diarrhea persists I would definitely do so soon, if not now.

Back