squirmy chin and a hair ring check

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinNewbie

I adopted a beautiful chin (Milo) back in september. Ever since I have brought him home he either doesn't like me or really hates to be touched. Every time that I try to hold him, I worry that I'm going to give him a heart attack the way he freaks out and thrashes around. My other boys know that it is coming and will let me do it, but they also will let me hold them. How do I master giving Milo a hair ring check?

I tired the towel over the head...and that didn't work he got away from me and found the way to right under my bed. Two hours later I finally got him back into his cage.

Master it? Good luck :) There is no finite rule on it-you just have to match the correct method with the chin in question. I have a few boys who almost seem to enjoy the check, but for most it is a constant struggle. If you have anyone else in the house, ask for help-having an extra set of hands makes everything much easier, and try to be as fast as possible to minimize stress.

Also--2 hours, lucky... when I was new I lost a chin for 4 hours...chasing it the entire time! Some advice-keep a dust bath handy :) Many chins run headlong into them when you are trying to catch them.

I have one boy who is very skittish and I usually prop him up and wait until he doesnt squirm as much, realizes he's not being constricted but isnt going to be able to get away. Then with my free hand I bring a shredded wheat to his mouth so he can take a couple nibbles and calms down a bit. Then I do the check while talking in soothing tones. He still acts like a scared statue but he only continues to squirm if I'm taking too long. When I'm done I put him down and hand him the shredded wheat as a treat and to calm down, then I make sure he has some dust to fluff himself up again.

I have one boy who is very skittish and I usually prop him up and wait until he doesnt squirm as much, realizes he's not being constricted but isnt going to be able to get away. Then with my free hand I bring a shredded wheat to his mouth so he can take a couple nibbles and calms down a bit. Then I do the check while talking in soothing tones. He still acts like a scared statue but he only continues to squirm if I'm taking too long. When I'm done I put him down and hand him the shredded wheat as a treat and to calm down, then I make sure he has some dust to fluff himself up again.

I will be trying this tonight! Thank You sooooo much!

Do you have a second person that could help you?

I do have someone that is able to help. I keep forgetting about using a second person since my other boys have spoiled me and just let me check without fussing.

Back