Squamous Cell Surgery

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww well of course you want to keep checking her. Blessings to both of you!

Nicole, We haven't seen an update for a while. How is Miss Thistle doing? I hope everything has been going smoothly for her. She's been in my thoughts lately.

Hi!
Thistle is doing fairly well. She's still alive and some of her spikes are growing back. She falls over a lot now and can't get up, it's quite pathetic. She's been rocking 3 legs for over a year so I'm not sure what this new thing is all about but other than that she seems fairly normal.

She's also in a book! I stumbled upon it by accident, it's called "Feel Better, Little Buddy".

http://www.amazon.com/Feel-Better-Little-Buddy-Animals/dp/0811877604

Hi!
Thistle is doing fairly well. She's still alive and some of her spikes are growing back. She falls over a lot now and can't get up, it's quite pathetic. She's been rocking 3 legs for over a year so I'm not sure what this new thing is all about but other than that she seems fairly normal.

I'm happy to hear she is doing pretty well. I don't know if her stumbling is like what we are experiencing, but I'll share what is happening with Cooper in case it helps Thistle any.

Cooper began to stumble some as he healed and he started to have trouble getting back up when he fell on the incision's side. He also had problems getting in his wheel and would fall when he would jump out.

Once the stitches were removed, he started to do a little better, but still would stumble. Our thoughts are that the stitches may have been causing a nerve some irritation, but most likely there is scar tissue that is causing the problem.

To help him I created steps for him to get in his wheel easier. Should he stumble and fall while running, he will only fall about 1/2 inch to a fleece covered flooring tile that serves as his top step.

I also work with Cooper every night. Now that his incision is healed, I massage the area, and encourage him to climb up my chest. I recline at varying angles, depending on how he is doing. So far it seems to be helping as he is more steady on his feet. His running distance on his wheel is no where near what it was pre-surgery, but hopefully in time he will do better.

Back