Spoil Them at Playtime!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillaFriends

Today's the 2-week marker of our girls becoming part of the family -and we could not feel more satisfied or happy with 'em!

They seem pretty satisfied and happy too because we've spoiled them rotten with cage toys. I've tried to get a wide range of safe chewables so I can learn what they like most; from free floating blocks to garlands of pumice and chunks of wood.

I have also purchased a large pop-up ware playpen because they looked awesome. Bamf and The Professor love to run around the pen trying to escape.

Right now I have one cardboard tube in the pen that they can run through and chew on but it seems so boring compared to the multi-colored lava-ledges they hop to-and-fro from back in the mansion.

QUESTION: What do your Chins play with during playtime? I know a lot of the users here sell toys too, so what's hip these days with the chins?

Thanks! :high5:

Attachments

• ProfComp.jpg
    ProfComp.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 57
My chinnies get free run of the living room so we usually have tubes and boxes with holes in so they can run through, we also sometimes lean the tubes up on the sofa so its on an angle and they seem to love running up and down them. I hide sticks in places too so they have to run around and find them :D

Your chinnies a cutie :D

love the xmen references in the names - awesome!

agree on the ware playpen, too - got one not too long ago and the kids love it... they seem to really like the wooden van I made for em (since some are named after the A Team...) and I am working on a small cardboard tube jungle gym (4" diameter tubes, so noone gets stuck)...

great pic!

My little guy gets the living room, makes it easy because he just jumps back in his cage when he's done! I have a bunch of capri sun box tunnels and other boxes I collect and cut holes and stuff into, or just set up and he jumps from box to box. Of course his favorite jungle gyms are the couch and entertainment center though.

my boys have cardboard boxes with doors and windows cut out of them to hop in and out of, and a long cardboard tube to run through. they also get their dust every couple to few play times. i'll toss down apple twigs and other chewables too, but for the most part they ignore them in favour of running around and wall surfing :))

dcfluegel, 4" diameter tubes may be too small. i would go with 6" just like the tubes we use for fleece tubes in the cage. i once made a fleece tube that was about 4" diameter (coffee can), and Rhino would only stick his head in it, but wouldn't go in it at all.

To be honest, Chloe doesn't play with anything when I let her out. She just runs everywhere and chews anything she can get her mouth on. She does like it when I put things in she can hide in but she never stays in the same place for literally more than 2 seconds.

This is a post Sandi wrote on my wall when I asked about playpens, I think she must have the greatest play-time set up I could ever imagine inside a playpen! I hope it's okay that I copy and pasted this from my thread...It was called "Who here has playpens?" in the housing/supplies section.

I also LOVE my Ware pop-up playpen that I've had for 3 years now but it has been used by my chins for over 2.5 years. I've washed the bottom several times and everything still works on it. It has a zip top as well. There is room for humans to sit in there with the chins as well. Below are pics taken within the last couple of years.

IMG_0697.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

5bb587b5.jpg

1b64868d.jpg

41285d8f.jpg

That´s an awesome setup!

I´m still working on my playroom, at the moment they get some sticks, their bathouse and some boxes but I´m waiting on an epic toy order which should hopefully arrive today or tomorrow. Yay for chinnie playtime!

Mine have free run of most of my apartment as well, so I have cut up pieces of paper-towel rolls and sticks scattered everywhere for them to find. I also made them a 3-level box maze, have used wrapping paper rolls strategically placed throughout the apartment, and left an open vet carrier out so that they don't associate them with "evil". I use boxes as steps a lot too.

I'm a new chin owner to Misty and Ember. (Picked them up after a long month of waiting on Sunday) While they are not ready to come out and play yet, I actually had a question about playtime. (I don't mean to hijack your thread!)

The chinchillas have their own room. The only other thing in there is a futon with a bunch of fleece blankets covering it. Should playtime be in one of those giant pens or is a room fine? I was reading something about chewing carpets and such...

Wow! I love the picture of the chinchilla flying off the side of the pen.

Latest posts

Back