Spiny beat the odds

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeanette

From Q to H
A little while ago, I took Spiny in for his annual checkup.
While there, the vet discovered a lump on his jaw and on his chest...
we all know that this is not the type of news we would like to hear. We think that it would be great if it were only an abscess or something just as benign, but let's face it, hedgehogs are prone to oral tumors and cancer in general.

So I didn't post the news about his health because frankly, I didn't want to talk about it or think about it too much. I just wanted to spend time with my hog and get him all better. Syringe feeding him his various antibiotics, probiotics, etc. 2x per day was a pleasure :)

Well.... he beat the odds! My amazing vet, Dr. Lane told us that the results were back and that it was only an abscess. When we went for a follow up visit today, he said that Spiny's abscess had all but gone away and that he did not see any of the inflamed material that he originally saw! Plus, the growth on his chest has shrunk to the size where it is barely noticeable to the touch. So, he says that it was probably related to the infection in his mouth.

I consider Spiny and myself VERY lucky.
I agree with Dr. Lane when he says that statistically speaking, it at first did not look too good, but Spiny beat those odds!

So, hug your hogs and be thankful for every second with them!
I'm so proud of my little guy for being so brave through all of this!!!

Just thought that I would share my fantastic news! I'm breathing a little better today...:thumbsup:

Wow! That's great news! You must be so relieved! It definitely makes me want to hug my baby!

What a great story, I am so glad you and Spiny have more time together.

Good news. Too often it is cancer and not something fairly simple to treat (simple when compared to cancer). Always hug your quilled ones and never take for granted that you will be able to spend time with them tomorrow. Enjoy every second you get. :)

Good news. Too often it is cancer and not something fairly simple to treat (simple when compared to cancer).

I totally agree with you and Nancy. When Dr. Lane originally told me about the lumps, he did not have to go into detail about what it could be... I started with all the regular questions. He seemed relieved that I understood the implications. We were both ecstatic when Spiny came back for a follow up and he was doing so much better!!

Oh, and Spiny did not really enjoy the hug I gave him, lol...

Latest posts

Back