Spending so much on chew sticks!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I order mixed twig packages from Ronda. When I just had Terrance and Phillip an order lasted me 2-3 months giving each of them 2 chew sticks a night. With the addition of Mira and three unexpected kits, twig consumption quadrupled ;) I placed an order the end of March and had to place another one the beginning of this week. The little monkeys have been gnawing them like there is no tomorrow almost since the day they were born! Mira and the kits get 6-8 sticks every night. And each and every one of them only chew the bark off. They pretty much ignore hanging toys and wait for their nightly twigs. The male kits will be leaving in a couple of weeks, so that will save me some twigs :p

How do you guys with multiple chins keep up with twig demand?

I buy 5-6lbs at a time, roughly every 3 months (also from Ronda). If you're giving them twigs, you can try switching to sticks or chew chunks. The thicker the wood, the longer they seem to last. Hanging toys really help to cut back as well. I ordered a bunch from Christine (Twilight Chinchillas) earlier this year, and my guys ADORE them.

Just bite the bullet. My girls get unlimited sticks. They have a stick box and I keep it stocked just like hay and pellets. If they need to chew, I want them to always have access but that's just me.

Just bite the bullet. My girls get unlimited sticks. They have a stick box and I keep it stocked just like hay and pellets. If they need to chew, I want them to always have access but that's just me.

Ditto. I usually sit on about 6 pounds of sticks at a time. When it gets down to about 4 or 5 pounds I order another 6 pounds.

I just shower my girls with a variety of chews. I found that breaking longer sticks in half makes them last longer. I also add in hay cubes, hanging toys, toss toys, vine items, etc. The variety seems to make everything last a little longer while they still have plenty to chew. Of course with all this they still can't resist chewing on their wooden house or the lovely hay box Christine made. I make chew toys last longer by rotating them, flipping them upside down, and when they're pretty much dead... I disassemble them. I then keep all the pieces that can still be chewed on the toy. If the two on the hanger has a bit of bark on it still then I toss it in the cage like a stick. Basically, I allow them to chew everything until they will not chew it anymore while still rotating in a few new hanging toys and some sticks as things get used. My girls are big chewers and big eaters so I do whatever I can to make things last. I'd use the word frugal instead of cheap ;). If I save money it means I'll have more money to make more orders.

Yup I buy about 20lbs at a time and keep some for my own and then sell the rest, it seems Ronda has been really busy shipping lol, good for her!!

I didn't even think about ordering by the pound! Thanks so much for the idea! I guess with four chins that would be a good idea!

I have 3-6 hanging toys in my cages, both simple and complex ones. Those parts get changed out every 4-6 weeks depending on how much my guys destroyed it. I either buy by the pound, or know people with good wood that gives it to me and I process it myself for them. Processing for yourself can save a lot of money, just takes a long time.

I make my own sticks, it takes a bit to prepare them, but it's worth seeing her munch them down the way she does. My chin decided she didn't like store bought sticks anymore, the only kind I can get at Petco, so I took to making my own. She goes nuts for them, and it's extremely cheap too!

With all the rescues here and what I supply foster homes I go through a lot of wood. I prepare my own wood weekly to keep up with demand. The rescues all seem to go nuts for any twig, my own are sometimes more picky wanting a certain size.

I have a couple of small apple trees, so when I prune them, I have enough sticks to last me throughout the year to the next pruning. I only have the one chin so it is easy enough for me to prepare her sticks myself.

Latest posts

Back