Spayed female with an intact male?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
I was thinking last night - when Chance is finished with his quarantine, would it be okay to introduce him to Kismet? Kismet is spayed, but Chance is intact - would that pose a problem?

On one hand, I worry about Kismet's presence being a bit of a tease for Chance. However, I know that hedgehogs are induced ovulators (or so I've read), and it makes me wonder how Chance would even know she's a female. She won't go into heat because, well, she doesn't have the parts anymore.

On the other hand, I really think that Kismet's calm personality could help Chance settle in and become less skittish as well. She seems to have rubbed off on Vette, so I'm wondering if she might have the same effect on Chance. My goal isn't for them to become room mates, but rather, occasional play mates. I think it would be good for both of them - Kismet likes company, and Chance would probably benefit from Kismet's demeanor and utter trust for humans. Animals learn from one another - maybe Kismet could help Chance learn to trust people a little more readily by showing him that we mean no harm.

I'm just not sure if it would frustrate Chance to be out at the same time as Kismet. Cuda lives beneath Kismet and Vette, and he's not shown any adverse effects, so I'm not sure.

Any input?

Back