Spay + One Live Kit - pics

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update

Mom's been fully healed for a couple weeks and is finally growing some tummy hair back! She wouldn't let me take a pic of it though. Her teeth are a starting to be healthier orange color at the root too but she is still down on weight. (687g where as post spay she was 822g and pre pregnancy 850g) She hasn't gained or lost in the last week though so I'm letting her be.

Baby is fat and rambunctious, 175g and 6 weeks old. I posted some updated pics of Czari having lunch after a long snooze in my lap. =3 Now she is snoozing again. She's actually taking less milk now and much more hay. She still turns her nose up at pellets.

Mom and Dad have been living together now that Fattie (the mom) is healed up. She is a full spay so don't worry about pregnancy! I let Czari stay with them a few hours a day for socialization and warmth while I work or sleep.

Any tips on making fattie fat again, or should I be looking for a new nickname. =x She currently gets oxbow pellets, timothy hay, one handful of alfalfa every other day, and a cheerio for a treat. I know 687g is still a good size for a chinchilla, and at 850g she did have fat pouches under her arms, but her hips look a bit baggy and she looks a bit washed out to me. While you can't feel her bones/spine she seems like she should have at least 50 more grams to her...

Attachments

• Bath.jpg
    Bath.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 38
  • FeedMe.jpg
    FeedMe.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Lunch.jpg
    Lunch.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20130508_204413_308.jpg
    IMG_20130508_204413_308.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 38
Please do not let the baby play with or hang out with her father. He could get her pregnant. This actually happens fore often than most people think.

Thank you Cathy, that makes me feel less anxious, I'll keep an eye on her weight weekly. BTW the momma chin's mother was one of yours, I'm hoping the baby inherited her good looks. =)

Please do not let the baby play with or hang out with her father. He could get her pregnant. This actually happens fore often than most people think.

Don't worry cuddle he has one more week and then at 7 weeks old Czarina will be kept separate and dad will have my old cage. I know kits are weaned 7-8 weeks so I assume this should be more than safe? I would like correction if I'm wrong but I thought the max age for separation was 10 weeks?

Last edited:
Depends on your lines. I have 1 line that cycles at 6 weeks old and others that don't till 12 or 13 weeks old. Its better safe than sorry. I usually keep moms and kits separated from the males till they are weaned anyway. The mother will slowly gain weight. After such a big stress it can take time to recover. As long as she is eating and acting ok don't stress over the weight. It will come back over time.

For some reason, I thought the baby was older than that. I separate my males and females at 8 weeks. Sounds like you are doing a good job.

For some reason, I thought the baby was older than that. I separate my males and females at 8 weeks. Sounds like you are doing a good job.

Thank you, after all the stress and fear when caring for Czari and her mother I'm just glad they are both doing well.

Tuesday I'll set up the bachelor's pad for dad, I already have a potential friend for him in quarantine (male pet chin) so he'll only be alone for a few weeks. Well unless they end up hating each other...

Also drove by a garage sale this morning and got a giant ferret cage for 10$! Not sure what brand it is but it needs fleece liners and new shelves and a healthy dose of sanitation. I think I'll save it for the girls once Czari is old enough for 1 inch spacing. Plus then I can have a pimped out cage like some of the members on here. :D

Mommas tummy is almost fully regrown (fur) and she plays and runs around better than she has in years, even popcorning. Czari seems like she is always eating. If I open the cage she will dive out expecting me to catch her and she no longer sits still or sleeps in my arms. I've never owned a chinchilla younger than 6 months before so the level or her energy really catches me by surprise. I let her play with her mom for about ten min every couple days and she'll go crazy. I can see why young chins need restricted environments! She will leap up to my shoulder to say hi and now Trinity (momma) will try to climb up too but she doesn't fit so well.

Attachments

• IMG_20130621_183638_074.jpg
    IMG_20130621_183638_074.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20130621_183647_656.jpg
    IMG_20130621_183647_656.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 16
Glad mom & baby pulled through! Really sorry to hear about the other little one, that's rough. :(

Thanks for sharing the pics though, mom & baby are adorable! :D

Back