Spay Incontinence

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
Hello,

Any one dealt with Spay Incontinence before? We have been having some issues with our 1 year old beagle girl for a few months now. She has been having accidents from time to time while napping. She doesn't have a bladder infection, we checked. The vet gave her PPA to take twice a day. It seems as though it makes her sleepy. I was wondering if anyone else has used other ways/meds to treat this condition. I am giving it a couple more days before calling the vet about the sleepyness. Thanks!

Ask your vet about Diethylstilbestrol...also known as DES. After initial dosing, you only have to give once a week.

PS if she just started the Proin, she may eventually get used to it and not be so drowsy.

It's very common for dogs to develop urinary incontinence after being spayed. Common causes are underdeveloped supporting tissue, muscles if spayed too young, hormone-related (loss of estrogen leads to a weak muscle; when dogs sleep, the tone becomes even lower). Many holistic vets use Causticum (6C for about 6 days once a day and then as needed). You should see improvement fast if it helps. You can also use a herbal supplement, some herbs supply with natural estrogens.

Do you know if she has an alkaline urine? Just adding methionine (can be found at health food stores) to acidify the urine can eliminate incontinence.

It's very common for dogs to develop urinary incontinence after being spayed.

"Very common" - not so much. 20% is the highest published incidence.

Definitely see if DES works. Our old girl was on DES and PPA for a period of time, then dropped to just DES and now she isn't on anything and doing pretty well!

It's been a while since I have been here, but I wanted to respond though. I tried the PPA again with the same results. It was so odd, how she was responding to it. I spoke with the vet and she did put her on DES. She took it for 5 days the first week and is now taking it 3 times a week. She is doing much better. The first round wasn't enough, she was still leaking some, so we are now on our second round. I hope she won't have to continue it forever. I am so glad she had no bad reactions to this medicine. Thanks for the responses.

I'm glad to hear she is doing better. Some dogs do have to stay on it forever but you can try to get your dog down to the lowest dose needed. My dobe only had to take it twice a week and the cost wasn't that bad.

Back