Southern Flying Squirrels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeoMonster

My friend's hamster died and she is looking into getting a new pet. She originally wanted a sugar glider but they might be illegal to have in Massachusetts. Southern flying squirrels are legal, so she's looking into those.

So I told her I'd come to my trusty forum to pick your guys' brains.

1. Cage specs?
2. We are currently in NY, southern NY to be exact. Anyone know of any breeders? She's looking specifically for a baby so she can bond with it. Gender is irrelevant.
3. Any other hints/tips/topics?

I believe they are legal in NY, but I'm not sure if a permit is required or not. From what I just read, it doesn't seem like a permit is required, but I'm not from NY and am not obviously qualified to tell you for sure or not. lol

I've looked into S. flying squirrels but not super extensively. They would need a fairly large cage, about the same size as sugar gliders and chinchillas. They are also very social, and should be kept in pairs and require a lot of time and commitment from their owners. They're very similar to sugar gliders in that way.

My only other tip is to Google, Google, Google! There are some squirrel forums are very helpful.

Latest posts

Back