sort of new chin owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Wildfirevs

Hi I am some what learning still on chinchillas. Especially when I started reading this web sight very informative and helpful. I recently got a scale to start weighing my one chinchilla Jerry. He was weighing around 715 grams but recently has been around 700 should I be concerned about the 15 gram weight loss or am I just being paranoid? A bit over worried scene I had his cage mate pass suddenly this last winter =/.
Thank you for your advice wildfirevs

15 gm isn't a huge weight loss, unless he keeps on going down. You can have a 10-15 gm fluctuation in weight depending on the time you weigh them. When I weigh, I always try and weigh at the same time, usually early evening before their active time, around 6:00. If you have a big cage, and especially if you have a wheel, the morning weight is usually a bit different from the night before.

i agree with whats been said.... 15 iant enough to be too worried about... but keep an eye on it, to make sure hes not loosing a bunch more

Ok good to know, I guess Im a bit paranoid after my other one passed so suddenly. Little bugger definitely has a good appetite thou. Way he runs I swear if I hooked up a generator to his running wheel i could power something.
Thank you for the replys.

I have a new chin , only a few days in the house now.
he seems stressed to me and I'd rather delay weighing him. Is this ok?

Without a roomate, your chin is running himself silly, as he's nothing else to do! I've a couple of males "addicted" to the wheel, and it seems they'll run forever, and even "bump" another off the wheel! I've even gone so far as to hook a piece of wire to it to keep it still, but really get the old "stink eye" when I do that, and boy, does that wire get bent from aggrevated chewing - like they know it's stopping it!
Try restricting the wheel for a week, and re-weighing him - bet the weight comes back!
Dora - I'd wait 'til he "settles in" a little more. Maybe make it a game at his first "playtime," so it's not new, all by itself!

Last edited:
When you do get around to weighing him, give him a plain cheerio. Most chins will sit still to be weighed if they are given a treat.

Back