Sometimes Being Obnoxious Pays Off

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillybabe

So, I've been wandering YouTube for a few weeks now. I was very disturbed by some of the videos there and unable to help myself... I started sharing my mind with those who posted them. Maybe it's not the best tactic... several people told me off, argued with what I had to say, etc. However, a few listened.

I wanted to share a story to give others the courage to speak their minds. Even if people do not always listen if it saves even one chinchilla, isn't it worth it? On youtube I happened across a video posted by a young man who had adopted a male and female chinchilla. It was the usual story, both were housed together in a tiny plastic filled cage, fed junk, rarely dust bathed, etc. Due to being only 13 and inexperienced with chinchillas the young man kept the male and female together for a short time. When I saw the video I quickly asked why they were together and if he was trying to breed them. Several of us posted similar things and he separated the chins.

Slowly I have formed a friendship with him and we have shared chinchilla stories, videos and he has asked my advice. Two days ago he looked in the cage and his female chinchilla had a baby. He told me the same day and promptly listened to the advice I gave. He's put up hardware cloth so the baby could not escape and fall from the top of his Ferret Nation 142. He's also monitoring mom and baby closely. I know I am no saviour and what I did was small but I also wonder where this kit would be if I hadn't said something. Would he have kept her in the same cage without protection and woken up one day to a dead chinchilla?

I know it's a rocky thing for him but his dad is supportive and I think all now three of his chins will have a good life with him. He's got them on a good food, removed plastic from their cage, separated them, and is generally taking very good care of them. I think if more people spread good advice, even if unwelcome, then maybe we could help many fur babies have great lives. I thought you all would enjoy hearing about this.

In regards to the new kit, he's sexed her based on pictures and she is a solid 59 grams which I think is a pretty good weight. Hopefully she will continue to grow and be a healthy, happy chinchilla.

Okay so I mentioned before how YouTube comments are paying off. The time I've spent on there watching videos and making comments has led to people voting down my videos and even cussing at me or insulting me. Good things keep happening though too. Two more people have now thanked me through their videos and messages for my commentary. One of them said she appreciated me letting her know because no one had ever told her and she might have continued to give her chinchilla dangerous things. Another has completely revamped his cage and is now providing his chinchilla with decent food. So, slowly, things are paying off. It seems many on YouTube like those who come here just don't know that what they are doing may harm their chinchilla. The petstores give them all sorts of bad advice. They pressure them into buying expensive but tiny cages, low quality food, dangerous wheels, and deadly treats. I feel lucky that I found this forum before getting my chinchilla back when it was chins n quills. Not everyone is so blessed to have decent information at their fingertips.

It may be trying, but it really can make a difference! Bless you for helping this boy, I am sure he and his chins are much better off than if you had been like most people and just clicked away in disgust.

That is really great. Its great when you know you've helped and that someone is listening. I try to gently give people advice that I see on craigslist, but no one ever emails back. I just hope that someone will listen to my advice and at least one chin will have a better life. I also try to invite everyone here.

Latest posts

Back