someone please help me ASAP.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GuidoTheHedgie

i'm getting my babies this weekend and i'm about to make my final trip out to petsmart to get the last of my supplies.

however, im still stuck on heating.
im getting emitters and lamps, but i dont know which type of temp. controller to get.

thermostat or rhetostat?

i've been looking at this one.
http://www.reptilesupply.com/popup_image.php?pID=2534

is this okay?
and does it control two cages?

please and thank you!

Looks like it could work, it's the thermostat you need not the rheostat (I'm still not sure what a rheostat is...) No idea on if it can control two cages though

Thermostat has a probe that goes down to floor level where it takes the temperature from. The thermostat will turn the emitter off and on as needed to keep the cage at the temperature you want. If more heat is required, it turns the emitter on and stays on until that temperature is reached. If no heat is required, the emitter will be off. It works like the thermostat for your furnace.

With a rheostat you have to manually turn the emitter lower, higher or off. It will not do it for you. Think of a dimmer on lights. You can turn them dim, bright or off but you have to do it. A rheostat can work alright for the cage if you are there most of the time to monitor it. Times that rheostats don't work well is spring and late summer/early fall when the days are often hot and no heat is required but the nights still get cold when heat is required.

The best option is the thermostat and most thermostats do have the plug ins for two emitters but the probe would only be in one cage.

Thanks, ill go with the thermostat then.
I bought a cage thermometer, so could I use that for the cage that wont have the probe in it, and accurately control both cages?

Im only 14 (15 on the 28th :D) and cant exactly afford to buy two of everything ;)

You should be able to get a digital thermometer cheap. Betting the dollar stores have them. Both cages will need a thermometer just to make sure the temperature is staying within the range needed. Different cages and even being beside one another can have slightly different readings.

I've never seen in the dollar store, never know what dollar stores are like in the States though. But if you can't find there, for sure you can get them for $10 (well that's Canadian, so less in your dollars) at both Walmart and Canadian Tire.

Latest posts

Back