Some shelter dogs :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin_gal

Me? Addicted?
So, I'm not sure why I've never shared this here, but I have been volunteering at a local animal shelter for almost 2 years now. It's really sad, because 99% of the dogs there are pit bulls. There are just so many of them. Luckily, the shelter is VERY pro-pit bull, and each and every one gets their fair chance in finding a home (many shelters will euthanize them as soon as their stray hold is up/after they're surrendered). I had liked pit bulls before I started volunteering there, but through so much work with them, I have come to truly adore them! They are some of the sweetest and smartest dogs I have ever had the opportunity to work with. :))

So anyway, occasionally I will take my camera with me and grab some pictures, and I figured I'd share some on here. :)) It will take a few posts though, lol. These were all taken when I went up yesterday.

This here is Tex. She is such a beautiful girl!
107_2608Custom.jpg

107_2616Custom.jpg

107_2618Custom.jpg

This is Flash. He's such a calm and sweet boy!
107_2658Custom.jpg

107_2660Custom.jpg

This is Artsie. She has completely stolen my heart! She is the sweetest dog you could ever meet! She loves to hang out with you on your lap while she gets pampered with pets. :D She loves to give kisses, and loves to be by your side! And she's so cute. She has a slight under-bite that only shows sometimes when her lips get caught on it. It totally adds to her character!
107_2669Custom.jpg

107_2674Custom.jpg

107_2679Custom.jpg

107_2687Custom.jpg

I took her out one more time before I left later in the day, and here is a picture my mom took of the two of us. It was really hot by then, that's why she got the foamy spit, lol. Did I mention how much I love this dog?!
107_2729Custom.jpg

This here is Crispen. He was so much fun! Man did this boy love his tennis balls!
107_2692Custom.jpg

107_2694Custom.jpg

Thanks for sharing these!!! They all look like wonderful and sweet dogs! My favorite is Evey, I love how that tongue is hanging out of her mouth!! lol! Love Artsie's overbite, that is just too cute! I haven't had much experience with pitbulls, but from what I know, it isn't the breed of dog but the owner that makes them mean.

I hope these dogs find good homes soon!

I think next dog we get will be a pit mix. There are so many of them out there. When my Caroline passes I will rescue from a shelter.

Thanks for sharing these!!! They all look like wonderful and sweet dogs! My favorite is Evey, I love how that tongue is hanging out of her mouth!! lol! Love Artsie's overbite, that is just too cute! I haven't had much experience with pitbulls, but from what I know, it isn't the breed of dog but the owner that makes them mean.

I hope these dogs find good homes soon!

Aren't they awesome?! :)) And when it comes to aggression in dogs (not just pit bulls), I have learned that both genetics and environment tend to play a role. Some dogs are just very poorly bred, and as such, have temperament issues. And of course, dogs that have not been socialized properly or have been abused can become aggressive as well. However, there are also dogs that are pulled out of terrible situations, that are just so trusting and sweet despite the awful things that happened to them. Really, when it comes down to it, the few tragic incidents that do happen have to do with a mix of bad breeding/environment, and just irresponsible dog ownership. It's definitely not a breed issue.

I think next dog we get will be a pit mix. There are so many of them out there. When my Caroline passes I will rescue from a shelter.

That's awesome! :)) They are such great dogs! And yeah, there are sooo many of them out there. :( I too will be adopting one when I move out on my own.

Back