Some pet owners scare me

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK23

I saw this ad on my local craigslist:
http://spokane.craigslist.org/pet/1796217668.html
I really do not understand why people purchase animals that they cannot afford to take care of. I do realize that sometimes unexpected situations occur that make it difficult to take care of a pet, but this person said that they JUST bought this little guy, and obviously don't have the funds to buy proper supplies. What is with some people?!

That person called me asking for help with a chinchilla with labored breathing that they had just bought off of criags list. I am sure I did not tell them they were doing more than a vet I told them to get their butts to a vet. I highly doubt from what they described the chinchilla will survive. I talked to her for like an hour after they called trying to convince her to get help. I even gave her people in the area to contact...

i think i've seen that picture of the chinchilla before somewher... not sure tho. It sounds like to me that person is just trying to get free stuff for her chin...

It breaks my heart to see unwanted pets or ones that are not being properly cared for, especially when owners won't get help for an animal in need.

Starleomach: you mentioned that you gave them people in the area to contact, and I was wondering if you might know of reputable chin vets in the Spokane area? I just got my boy a month ago, and have been looking around for a vet to have on hand, but as this is my first chin (and pet for that matter) I am kind of unsure of where to go.

Wow that poor guy does NOT look good! People like that just make me sad. :(

Those are some scary pics. (shudder). I like how he says that he is doing more than the vet would do but he is asking for a chinchilla care book???

And why a 2nd cage AND carrier for one chin.

That poor little thing is in dire need of a bath.

He looks like one of the 'rescue' chins I had. He came with fur matts all over and the fur was just horrible, almost like hair or something but not what a 'poofy' healthy chin's fur would look like. The women I got him from fed him BIRD SEEDS of all things

I just sent him an email, I wonder if she even knows what illness it is. If he doesn't well then most likely (99%?) he's never been to the vet. (whose the 'she'? I see a he...:wacko:)

I like how this person said they got the chin but spent all their money on treatments but they obviously didn't buy any basic supplies to begin with...

Why did he take a picture of the chinchilla on his shirtless hairy chest??? I just feel like there's more flattering ways to take pictures...

And poor Chinny :(. He definitely needs a dust bath!

I told them he would die if they didn't go to a vet and clearly they didn't if they said they were doing more than a vet would...I don't know any vets in the area I gave them names of breeders off the MCBA website as they said they were "unable" to go to the site themseves. They were Lazy and the only reason they called me was my number is on my website I live in IL and have never been to washington state.

IMPO from the phone conversation everything I suggested to even help him was more than they wanted to do. They also kept suggesting that a breeder replace him. even though they didn't go through a breeder it was some girl off of craigs list they bought him from. They wanted to know repeatedly how they would be compensated by someone for treating this chinchilla. they were upset that they would lose the 60.00 they paid for the chinchilla and the cage. These people wanted cheap and they got what they paid for.

he was lethargic and breathing hard wen I spoke to them several days ago if he just died he was definitly savable holding on that long with no meds.....This is why I hate people.

I even directed them here as well but they clearly didn't show it was a girl and her boyfriend and they had contact breeders in the area before who wouldn't sell to them....that says it all right there. these people from my phone call shouldn't have even had a pet rock. I feel bad for the chinchilla but chances are they will get their hands on another....

Last edited:
I told them he would die if they didn't go to a vet and clearly they didn't if they said they were doing more than a vet would...I don't know any vets in the area I gave them names of breeders off the MCBA website as they said they were "unable" to go to the site themseves. They were Lazy and the only reason they called me was my number is on my website I live in IL and have never been to washington state.

IMPO from the phone conversation everything I suggested to even help him was more than they wanted to do. They also kept suggesting that a breeder replace him. even though they didn't go through a breeder it was some girl off of craigs list they bought him from. They wanted to know repeatedly how they would be compensated by someone for treating this chinchilla. they were upset that they would lose the 60.00 they paid for the chinchilla and the cage. These people wanted cheap and they got what they paid for.

he was lethargic and breathing hard wen I spoke to them several days ago if he just died he was definitly savable holding on that long with no meds.....This is why I hate people.

I even directed them here as well but they clearly didn't show it was a girl and her boyfriend and they had contact breeders in the area before who wouldn't sell to them....that says it all right there. these people from my phone call shouldn't have even had a pet rock. I feel bad for the chinchilla but chances are they will get their hands on another....

that just makes me so mad that you told them they need vet care and they refused..........

You tried to help them, and this poor chin, but some ppl just refuse to listen. It's so sad. My guess is this couple just wants something exotic, but refuses to take the appropriate responsibilities to properly care for one. I agree that they will probably get their hands on another chin at some point, and I am sure they haven't learned a thing after losing the first. So sad.

Running commentary:

I need a 2nd cage if your willing to give up something that expensive. Must be in good condition. - Why does one chinchilla need two cages?
Any extra Ceramic dishes you may have. - I wonder if they realize that you can get ceramic dishes for like, a dollar each at Wal-Mart or even the dollar store.
A sleeping cot, also used for ferrets. - Saywhat? I don't know any ferrets that sleep in "cots" parsay, however a hammock or tent is like, ten bucks. Tops. Canadian dollars.
Any metal, chicken wire like ladders, need 3 of them - Like the kind Chinchillas can get their limbs stuck in?
A Granite block, used to cool him off if he get too warm - Chances are he knows at least one person that just finished rennovations. Chances are they'll have extra tiles or granite blocks coming out their bums.
A hey dispenser, that doesn't have any type coating on it. - I got a hay dispenser for my chin and he doesn't use it. He pulls all his hay out into the bottom of the cage, so I've started just putting the hay on the floor in the corner opposite where he "uses the bathroom"
Daily Vitamin supplement for Chinchillas
A book on Caring for Chinchillas - I have one. It's called the internet!
chinchilla dust bath - You can get fishbowls at the dollar store for like...a dollar? Then you can get dust at a pet store for not very expensive. When I'm in a bind due to unforseen circumstances I can get something like 2 lbs of decent quality stuff for 7 bucks.
A Medium, Small animal carrier - Another cage AND a carrier!?
and I also need a small fuzzy cat hide-away like thing, so that he has place in our room to hide when he is running free. Can't have cat dander or any other dander or fur on it... We are allergic. Example pic below - Picky picky! I think luxuries like this can come later like...after you buy your chinchilla proper everything else.

It sounds a lot to me like they're trying to get all sorts of free fancy looking stuff for this guy and then attempt to sell him to some unsuspecting person. Because this honestly does not sound to me like someone who cares for their chinchilla at all. I almost wish I knew more details so I could report this to a humane society. Poor little dude is in rough shape and things aren't looking up any time soon. He says he spent all his money on healthcare for his chin...why didn't he have all of this stuff before he even got the chin? I always thought that getting supplies before attempting to bake a cake was common sense?

Last edited:

People like that make me sick. How would they feel if they were very ill and nobody ever took them to a doctor?
I feel bad for the chinchilla because it likely went from incapable hands into even worse hands. This is why I ended up taking Mojo in yesterday. I see chins on these sites all the time and I hate hate hate it.

Back