Somavia Line?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munchkin

I'm a new-ish chinchilla owner and so when I had a breeder in my area just check up on my ebony baby she said that she had some Somavia lines in her background because she saw that the baby had white toes in the back. What does having Somavia line in her background really mean tho? :X At first I thought she meant it was a specific type of Ebony but she didn't going into detail what she meant. Can someone explain please? :]

Somavia is the name of a well known breeder....I believe in the West Coast area. The white toes could be a distinguishing mark of the particular "line" or genetic family inherent in this herd. Different herds often become recognizable by certain looks or characteristics. According to your source, the rear white toes is a genetic characteristic of the Somavia genetic family line. Get it now? In your case, having Somavia in the lines is most likely a GOOD thing as they are highly reputable.

Many dark ebonies have white toes. All mine do and I don't have Somavia in my lines. As for the X - that means the chin was born this year - The number after the X is the number of chins born that day. For instance if the chin was X34. She would be the 34th chin born from her 'ranch' this year

I have to say, I wouldn't consider that a "trait" of anybody's chins. Lots of my eb kits have white toes as well and I don't have any Samovia lines, definitely not in my ebs. I guess it sounds good to say that though. It makes a chin sound special.

I have to say, I wouldn't consider that a "trait" of anybody's chins. Lots of my eb kits have white toes as well and I don't have any Samovia lines, definitely not in my ebs. I guess it sounds good to say that though. It makes a chin sound special.

Yep, I have a ebony from tunes and his back toes are white.

Vin Somavia is the top mutation chinchilla breeder right now. He's in northern California. I don't know who you're source is but she/he has got some misinformation they're tossing around. The only way to tell if somewhere down the line...Vin's chins were in that babies background is to have an extensive pedigree. I know a lot of people in California and Washington that claim to have Somavia lines when they never dealt with Vin directly and don't have a pedigree. People take advantage of his reputation to sell chins.

Hmm very good information. You're probably right RDZCRanch, the breeder I got mine from wasn't a good breeder at all :X She sold me that Ebony baby with ringworm! Sadly I didn't know any better and thought it was just a birth defect on her eye. But luckily she is all better now! So the chance of my Ebony baby of having that top mutation is slim to none :p Oh well she's still special to me! Thanks everyone! :D

So the chance of my Ebony baby of having that top mutation is slim to none

It wouldn't be a top "mutation" anyway, I don't think, in the way I think you mean it. If such a thing were true, (the white toes) it would mean that your chin was out of a top breeding line that has many animals in it. I would expect a breeder on the scale of Samovai doesn't have "a" top anything. He's got lots of tops!

What Tab means by top mutation breeder is that he is showing very well consistently with his mutations, all of his mutations, which would most likely come from multiple lines. The word mutation, in this instance, encompasses all mutations, ebs, whites, violets, saphires, etc. It isn't a singular animal, it's a group of them.

Did I explain that well, so that it made sense? I sort of got the feeling that you thought there was THE MUTATION in Samovia's herd, rather than using the word mutation to refer to a group of different colors. Mutation just means it's not a standard.

No, the chins were sold and the bulk of the standard herd went to the new Darkstar owners in Oregon. They are on the forum under Darkstar.

Back