Solo Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

I've had a single chin, Chloe, for about 6 years. I got her as a single chin and as far as I know she hasn't lived with another for any significant period of time. Hearing the horror stories of chins fighting made me nervous. Also, if they don't get along, I do not have room for another cage the size of Chloe's current one. Though I'm sure I could figure something out if it would possibly make her happier.
I've heard mixed opinions on the subject but generally it seems like it would be healthier for them to be in a small group or a couple.
I wouldn't mind having another chin at all but I want to be safe about it. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Is she acting unhappy? or lonely? or are you just going with the current idea going around that all chins need a companion to be happy? So long as you are spending at least a hour a day with her, actually interacting (talking, playing, petting, etc) not just being in the same room, she is probably not lonely. Also if you don't have the space for a second cage and everything, I wouldn't get a second chin. Would "figure something out" mean a smaller cage for your current chin if things don't work? Not only could things not work out, or work out for awhile then have a falling out, intros and bonding can take months. You also want to have the second chin quarantined from your current chin (different cage and room) for 30 days to allow it to settle in make sure it's not sick.

Chins in the wild do live in large herds, and they are social animals like humans, but just like humans not all chins are social, and they don't all get along with all others. If they don't like each other or have a falling out in the wild they can leave and join another herd, in a cage they have nowhere to go. Having lived for at least 6 years alone she may like things the way they are and may see a second chin as an intruder. Think about living most of your life alone and then suddenly having a room mate, you may love it, if your personalities mesh, or they may drive you crazy and feel in the way. Chins can also get jealous of new chins if they don't think they are getting the same amount of attention.

That being said, if you really want to give it a try, and can provide the new chin with an acceptable cage, without compromising your current chin's way of life it might be worth it. Bonding with another chin can improve a single chin's social life, but in some cases at the cost of the human/chin bond, they don't need you anymore they have another chin. To help prevent any reason for a falling out once bonded, make sure you have two of everything (food bowls, hay feeders, water bottles, etc) so there is no fighting over resources.
Some chins do enjoy having a neighbor and/or playmate but not a cage mate too. I had chins growing up that would play together and would chat when caged, but wanted their own cages. So even if things don't work out your current chin may still enjoying having another around who speaks the same language.

She's not acting any different recently. Not sure what lonely would look like? Lethargy, inappetence? Sometimes she makes those contact noises and I play some on my phone, it's super cute but I dont know if she's searching for a friend.
Chloe's current cage is getting old but it's still has good use left. I would move things around to fit a second one.
Thanks for the input!

I usually encourage people to get a same sex couple. However your chin has been single for 6 years I personally would not try it unless there is absolutely no problem with a 2nd chin set up (2nd cage) because chances are higher she will not accept another chin

Back