soft poop?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zooky

my guy has been having some soft poop for the past day. its not so soft but if my chin steps on it while its still fresh it will be flattend. im not sure if its oversized or not so how big is it suppose to be? this has happend before but even worse, like with goey stuff on his poop. but he got better after i gave him burnt toast and took his pellets away. he eats kaytee timothy hay and petsmarts pellets which im switching immediatly to oxbow. hes had petsmart pellets for a while so i dont know if thats the cause of his mushy poo or not. im scared it might be giardia but it doesnt smell bad. i suppose his poop is alittle shinny but i would consider it close to normal. pleaseee help me...i need to know if its just his bad quality food or hes sick...if he has giardia is there anyway i could treat it at home? pleasee help me on determining whuts wrong with the little guy! any opinions are welcomed and appreciated!!

Chins can get diarrhea from a variety of issues. Stress, bad feed, intestinal parasites to name a few. It is hard to tell you exactly what may be causing the diarrhea.

Try taking away his pellets for a couple days and feed him only timothy hay. The extra fiber of the hay can help firm up his stool. Adding acidophilus can sometimes help as well. I wouldn't give him the Oxbow until he has been eating just timothy hay for a couple of days and his poops get back to normal. Throwing something new into the mix could just upset his stomach even more.

If his stool continues to be mushy or gets any worse, you will need to take a stool sample to a veterinarian for an intestinal parasite exam.

.if he has giardia is there anyway i could treat it at home

No. You will need a veterinarian to diagnose it. It could be giardia but there are other parasites chinchillas can get as well. The vet will do an intestinal parasite exam to figure out what parasite (if any) is causing the problems. Then you will need a prescription for an anti-parasitic medication. There is no home treatment.

Chins can get diarrhea from a variety of issues. Stress, bad feed, intestinal parasites to name a few. It is hard to tell you exactly what may be causing the diarrhea.

Try taking away his pellets for a couple days and feed him only timothy hay. The extra fiber of the hay can help firm up his stool. Adding acidophilus can sometimes help as well. I wouldn't give him the Oxbow until he has been eating just timothy hay for a couple of days and his poops get back to normal. Throwing something new into the mix could just upset his stomach even more.

If his stool continues to be mushy or gets any worse, you will need to take a stool sample to a veterinarian for an intestinal parasite exam.

No. You will need a veterinarian to diagnose it. It could be giardia but there are other parasites chinchillas can get as well. The vet will do an intestinal parasite exam to figure out what parasite (if any) is causing the problems. Then you will need a prescription for an anti-parasitic medication. There is no home treatment.

so if his poop becomes normal again does that mean he doesnt have intestiinal parasites?

Not necessarily. Only an intestinal parasite exam by a veterinarian can tell you for sure. If this is a recurring issue it would be a good idea to get one done.

Latest posts

Back