Soft poop after treatment of bloating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gubee

Hi All!

My chin was treated with simethicone drops for being bloated a few weeks ago. He is now completely back to his normal self and very active. All his pellets and orchard hay were take away leaving only lots of timothy. So just last week, I started to introduce pellets back to his diet by giving him half a tablespoon a day. A few days later, his poop turned big, round, and soft (mushed when stepped on). The poop are moist, but like normal wetness, for sure not watery. I know I should take away all pellets again, but the poor little guy loves his pellets so much he follows me everywhere begging for some. :(

Any ideas to help my little guy?

Thanks!

Try giving him a half of a piece of unsweetened shredded wheat twice a day in addition to the hay and see if that helps. It will usually quickly clear up any problems.

Thanks for the info. I read about it in other threads too. I'm going to get a box of that tomorrow. His poops seem even bigger today.. :(

I looked for the Pet Petillin today with no luck. Neither Petsmart nor Pet value...

You need the mini shredded wheats. You could also sprinkle acidophilus on his pellets to help ease the transition back to eating pellets.

Aren't the big shredded wheat also 100% whole grain wheat as the mini wheat? but then the mini wheat looks more browned than the big ones. Is that what makes the difference?

His poop looked better earlier today, but the new poops after he widely waken still soft... not sure if it's because I gave him a few pellets (since the poops looked better earlier) feeling guilty now... :(

You use the mini shredded wheat because the original are way too big. Make sure that it is not frosted. They are the same otherwise. Try the acidophilus I mentioned earlier. You can get it at any store that sell vitamins. get the highest count you can find. Open up a capsule and sprinkle it on the pellets. Do this for a few says and see if it helps.

Just got the mini wheat today, he loves it! How long does it usually take to clear up the soft poop if it works for him?

I also bought the Acidophilus at 6 billion counts. I asked the pharmacist, she said it's the highest count they carry. So I just bought it anyway. Will the 6 billion works just fine? or do I need higher?

Do I introduce pellets back slowly with acidophilus after the poop turns normal? Or I can give him his normal pellet portions?

@menagerie, he's been on Mazuri for the last 10 years. He never had a problem with it. He's now 11 years old.

Mazuri has been know to cause soft poop in some chinchillas. Your chin is getting older and things may be changing with his digestive system. Maybe he can't eat Mazuri any more.

Just give the normal pellets in the amounts you always have. Sprinkle the acidophilus over the pellets; what you have is fine. If the soft poos return, I would recommend switching to a different brand.

Thanks Cuddlebug!

If the problem returns, which brand would you recommend?

That depends on what is available in your area. I feed PRCS. Oxbow, Traditions, Manna Pro Show Rabbit and Nutrena Naturewise Rabbit are all good feeds, too.

Hello Everyone! I have got another bloated chin on Tuesday night. I treated him the same way with the other chin who got the same problem. Just now I wanted to start re-introducing pellets to him by hand feeding. He only took a few from me then refused taking anymore. Normally he loves his pellets a lot! His poops are in slightly smaller than normal size and somewhat soft when I pressed them.

Oh, btw FYI, before he got bloated I just started all my chins with a new bag of oxbow Timothy hay. Same hay as they always eat, but just new bag that smells fresh.

This morning I gave him 3 pellets and he took them all! Not many poops around though but they are better in size and color. Is it okay to give him normal amounts of pellets tonight with the acidophilus I bought last time perhaps with some shreddies too?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I would go ahead and let him have his pellets. He is pooping less because he is not eating much. Most chinchillas will not have problems when put back on their regular food. If he continues to eat less than he should, his digestive system could go into stasis and that is something you want to avoid.

Back