Soft poo??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cintistatern2005

Ok so i dont know if you all read my other post under help need advice. But now smokey has soft poo. I havent changed his food or anything. He wont take shreaded wheat or burnt toast. He is eating some pellets but no hay, so i dont want to pull his only food. Maybe it was all the meds he has been on.

LifeLine from www.chocolatechinchillas.com should get his gut back in the right direction!
Specifically designed for chins on/after antibiotics, it's done wonders for many here.
There's a whole page on her websight, and Dawnna gets it out pretty fast!

I already have lifeline but i can't get it down him. I tried to mix it in a paste and force it but he spits it back out. Can i mix it with simethicone gas drops? He loves that stuff!!

Maybe powder some pellets in a blender, and mix it into a watery paste with the lifeline - not too thick. Add some gas drops if that doesn't work.
My herd eats it off a spoon - never had to force it!

my one chin has malo, so every day he gets lots of meds and handfed. since he is sick of me shoving syringes in his mouth, i try & combine meds. i have often combined the lifeline with the gas drops, syringe the lifeline first, so the gas drops are at the front of the syringe. only one of my chins does not like lifeline. my boy will lick it off a spoon a couple times a week, the other one gets it in a syringe three times a day and my stitch is a spaz and will not let me near him with a syringe!
hopefully the lifeline will jump start his appetite

My chins lick the lifeline off the spoon as well. 1 chin immediately tries to play tug of war with me with the spoon that has a little lifeline in it and the other chin needs to stare and sniff it for a few seconds and as soon as I start to pull my hand back with the spoon thats when he goes for it, go figure.

Can the vet order anything for soft poo. It's like we went 2 steps forward now were moving 1 step back. We went from small hardly no poops and now to lots of soft loose ones. Poor guy is getting poop all over him. This just started this am. Should i stop the reglan and cisapride? How long are chins usually on those drugs. Any advice on what i can do would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone??? I am going to a different vet tomorrow and advice on what to ask would be great!! My chin is still not drinking just barely eating and poo is now soft and loose!!

Hi, the new vet your going to- are they chin experienced? Why was he on medicine? It could be different reasons why your chin isnt eating. Have the vet check for malocculsion, may have to get xrays if he feels necessary but it may be risky to put him under since he is sick right now.
My chinchilla gizmo is currently being treated for coccidia. A parasite. He started with soft poos so it may be a good idea to have the vet look at a poo under the microscope for any parasites. The more severe the parasite the worse he is. Some of the symptoms are dehydration, soft poos, increased or decreased appitite, lethargy, etc. Good luck to you and the little one. Also, make sure the vet puts him on a probiotic such as benebac. It'll help his gut get back to normal.

i think that a lot of soft poo is better than no poo, since you have him on reglan and cisapride.....it seems they are working.
did you try the shredded wheat? maybe give him another day to see if he is just working it out of his system..........
here are definitions of the two drugs:

Cisapride is used to stimulate the movement of food through the digestive tract. It aids in the treatment of chronic constipation and megacolon (abnormal enlargement of the colon). It may also be used for disorders of the esophagus including reflux and megaesophagus (abnormal enlargement of the esophagus). Cisapride may affect the absorption of other oral drugs from the intestine. Do not use cisapride in animals with an obstruction, perforation, or bleeding of the digestive tract. At high doses, cisapride has caused birth defects in rats. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences diarrhea or abdominal cramps while being treated with cisapride

Metoclopramide (reglan) is used to prevent vomiting and esophageal reflux (stomach acid backing up into the esophagus) in many animal species. It may aid in the treatment of hairballs in rabbits. It is also used to prevent side effects, such as vomiting, resulting from chemotherapy. Because metoclopramide increases the movement of stomach and intestinal contents, it can affect the absorption of many oral drugs. Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences constipation, behavior changes, sleepiness, or staggering while being treated with metoclopramide. NOTE: Since metoclopramide is chemically very similar to PABA, the sunscreen agent, it should not be handled by people allergic to PABA.

Back