Soft poo

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaDi

You Have No Idea!
Hey! It has been a LONG time since I've been on here. But when you have a question, you come back to the best eh!

I have a chin who has had soft poo for weeks now. I had a fecal done and they found nothing. I've been giving a probiotic and nothing. He DID cut his lip right below his nose, but it has heal nicely - even though when he opens his mouth you can see where it split right up that line under his nose. I wasn't sure if maybe that has caused him stress or what.

I pulled the Timothy has for the last two weeks and that shows no difference either. He eats purina rabbit chow show formula. Should I try withholding the food and giving only hay for awhile??

Should I ask the vet for a broad spec antibiotic in case something isn't showing in the fecal tests?

I'm running out of ideas! I've had chins for 12 years now and this one has me stumped!

Thanks!!!

I would try a course of Pet Pectillin, .3ml twice a day for a few days and see it that helps, the kaolin and pectin work as a soother and binder and as long as its not a infection it works well. Albon would be my next move if that does not work, a mild antibiotic avaliable OTC from chocolatechinchillas.com.

Definitely keep giving him hay, it's has lots of fiber and add bulk to stool.

Okay I got the Pet Pectillin and gave it for 3 days. It made the poo normal, but then it was very sparse for about a week. Now it is back to normal amounts, but it is soft and sticky again. What should I try now?

It doesn't appear to smell bad. Cleaned the shelves this morning so I may have to check tonight to see if there is more.

No, no shredded wheat.

When we had that sort of problem, we asked our breeder for advice, she had us take away all treats and just offered hay and pellets with the addition of shredded wheat, that did the trick for us and edgar's poops became normal. Hope your chin gets better.

Just wanted to update that my guy passed. I was there and he did not appear to be in pain. After 12 years of owning chins and having them pass, it still hurts.

I'm down to 3 chins now...

Thanks guys.

I feel even worse because after I cleaned this cage totally, changed all the shelves as well, I moved my chin from the other side of the room over to this cage. Within a week, he passed as well. I really do not think it is the cage though. Pretty sure this chin just stressed out. He was older, went from an open wire cage to a melamine cage... He never left the middle shelf. I thought he was just being weird, but now I think he really was just freaking out. I have had chins for 12 years now and never would have thought this would happen. I spoke to some other chin ppl though and this is what we came up with.

I only have two females left now... I was a breeder with 10 chins... its sad to see them passing, but I know they have lived happy lives. The two I have left are pushing 8-10 years and I got them when they were kits. ... gonna feel empty around here.

I'm a little worried now, my chin has had soft poo for weeks, it will stick to her fur. Last night she had a poo right on the top of her lil head. Maybe she is eating too many snacks? I will give her hay and pellets for awhile. sorry about your loss, i can't imagine losing my chin :(

Thanks guys.

I feel even worse because after I cleaned this cage totally, changed all the shelves as well, I moved my chin from the other side of the room over to this cage. Within a week, he passed as well. I really do not think it is the cage though. Pretty sure this chin just stressed out. He was older, went from an open wire cage to a melamine cage... He never left the middle shelf. I thought he was just being weird, but now I think he really was just freaking out. I have had chins for 12 years now and never would have thought this would happen. I spoke to some other chin ppl though and this is what we came up with.

I only have two females left now... I was a breeder with 10 chins... its sad to see them passing, but I know they have lived happy lives. The two I have left are pushing 8-10 years and I got them when they were kits. ... gonna feel empty around here.

I am sorry lrasher! - I was out of town for two weeks so I am just seeing this. How is your chin doing now?

Latest posts

Back