So proud of myself. . .

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelley

today I went by Jones & Co to pick up dog food. . .well I had to go "just look" at the same animals.
They had a black male (can't do because I have girls) & then I saw the sign "adult beige female $99 plus cage. . . .a chubby female with farkle ears :hearts:
Now some background info. . . .I have only been around chins for about 2yrs and fell in love with them when my son's chin Little Man, tan wrap around w/ farkle ears, came to stay with me when Chad got stationed in Hawaii. Last Sept I lost Little Man to malo and that is when Tillie & Kizmet came into my life but I still would like to find a farkle ear girl.

Ok back to my story. . . .so I asked the clerk if I could see her and she said sure but she isn't very friendly. I put my hand in her cage and she came up and smelled me and "nibbled" on my hand and then I took her out with no problems and flipped her over and lo and behold "she was a he":tantrum: He was such a love and I gave him all kinds of kisses and said "why couldn't you be a girl???"
I guess he was a owner turn in and was told he was a girl, so they are going to let the "small pet manager" know that she is a he, which shouldn't they have checked?????
Needless to say. . . I just came home with dog food

Last edited:
which shouldn't they have checked?????

They probably do not know how to tell the difference. Which is why so many new people end up with babies from their 'male' animals.

Hopefully you'll find another chin with a similar personality that is female.

I have so far never encountered a pet store that could properly sex chins... sorry about the disappointment. You'll find the right chin!

I worked at Petsmart for a year - they basically tell you that if you see any 'bits', it's male. It doesn't matter what they look like; if there's anything hanging out, it's a boy. Also, only the managers will really ever sex the animals, and that's only a very quick check when they're first delivered. After that, no one really pays attention.

Sorry, but don't worry you and the right girl chinnie will find eachother. Pet stores just don't take the time to really check the sex of their chins. I ran into the same thing at our local pet store. They had a male and female housed together as two males. I let them know one was a female, and they said as quickly as they sell them it wouldn't matter if they were housed together. I have often wondered how many people have bought a single male and later on ended up with a Mommy and kits.

Back