So Proud of My Success ~Survived Power Outage of TWO NIGHTS!!~

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkkjstwcl

A storm of the past Sunday afternoon damaged the power codes of the area. I thought that the power would be back on momentarily, but I was wrong! It ended up that the power would have been gone for two nights! I have many chins, so I always have about 6 big juice bottles of water in the freezer. I have rabbits, too, and they are angora rabbits, so they have lots of hair. I need to protect them from heat, too. The first night I put water bottles in the chin cages. Then, I went to work next day. I came back home around 1PM to check on them. Of course, the water had been melt. I had the windows closed because I thought that the outside air would be much hotter. But, when I got home, my place was soooo warm (high 70's). A few of the chins were lying on the bottom of the cages and scared me. They didn't seem to have heat attack (yet).

A friend suggested that I opened the windows. I open the windows and all the doors of my place, so wind (if any) would circulate. Then, I asked the friend to get a huge bag of ice. The kind friend drove around and checked several places, but all the ice had been sold out!!! The people bought ice bags out to preserve their food. He go to my place with a cold gallon of water, ice creams, and a big plastic cup of Seven Eleven "Double Gulp" filled with ice from the soda machine. I immediately put the ice in small bottles and put them in the cages. Some chins appreciated, and some didn't notice the ice. The amount of the ice was not enough to withstand the afternoon (Monday). I didn't have any ice left in the freezer, but I had bunch of corn leaves frozen for my rabbits. They were still cold. So, I took them out, wrapped them, and put them in the chin cages. Some chins started lying on them.

My friend went home around 4PM. I was going to stay with the chins, but I figured...I can't help them just sitting here with them. I went back to work in downtown DC. There were the power back on in that area. I grabbed all the ice that I could find in the pantry. I found two small frozen water bottles in the freezer, too. Thank to whoever freeze them for whatever reason!! So, I grabbed them, too. My coworkers helped me to put all the ice in bags. It takes about 30 mins to go home in Metro (Subway system in DC). The ice stayed frozen when I got back home.

My place was a bit cooler than before because of the open windows. I pulled out all the four carriers that I had. I placed ice bags in each of the carriers and put the chins in them, so that they would be close to the ice no matter what. If I put the bags in the cages, some of the chins wouldn't just get close to the ice.
I let them stay in the carriers from 7PM until the ice melt... I had to place them back to their cages when all the ice was gone. It was about midnight.

Then, early in this morning (3AM?), the power finally got back on!!!

This morning, my chins looked soooo lively and running around in their cages.
There might have been better ways to deal with the heat and power outrage, but I think that I dealt with the emergency so well. I am so happy this morning about it. I have been trying to be a good chin mom, but recently, a few accidents happened, and I felt very down and guilty. But, now, I feel that I have hope to be a better chin mom. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Glad to hear everyone is ok!!
The power going out during the summer is one of my fears. This past weekend it was 108 degrees here so if the power went out I would have to load everyone up in carriers and put them in my truck.

A few of the chins were lying on the bottom of the cages and scared me. They didn't seem to have heat attack (yet).

I was going to stay with the chins, but I figured...I can't help them just sitting here with them. I went back to work in downtown DC.

Yes, you can help them by moving them into the carriers that you had and going to a place that has air conditioning. You were very, very lucky by what you described and didn't lose one of your chins. I personally would have placed all the chins in the carriers and went to a friends or relatives home that had a/c and if that was not possible, I would have taken them to a hotel just for the a/c.

Good idea...I will get a hotel room next time. I was preoccupied by "ice, I need ice, ice ice", and didn't think of it. Thanks.

I also lost power in that storm. Luckily what it was out for only one night. What I did is I used an old cage that I had and brought my chin to the basent where it is nice and cool.

I am lucky that in the 5 years Trixie has been with us, we have only had one significant summertime power outage...that lasted for more than 10-20 minutes.
Sounds like you did OK under the circumstances, but I think I will finaly have to follow through on my plan to buy a few extra granite/marble slabs to keep in the fridge, in case of emergency. I know we aare going to have a 90+ degree day tomorrow.

Back