So many questions - new chin owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillychin

I recently got a chinchilla for chrismtas. He's male and I named him Pippin. He's two years old, so he isn't a baby. He's extremely shy and just hides in a corner, I hardly ever see him leave there. I've tried just sitting there next to him, talking to him, reading to him, etc. He won't let me pet him either. Any advice? How do I get him to warm up to me? Also, am I supposed to give him food every day, even if the food from yesterday is still there? I just want him to love me and seeing him so timid and closed makes me sad :( I can use as many tips as possible!

Go slowly, he'll be terrified for a while. It's scary moving to a new place.
I'm currently working on bonding with my new two babies. Put a piece of fleece over the top of his cage, he'll feel super safe if he has a nice roof.

Don't be too loud or try to grab at him, he needs to learn that you're his friend, not a predator.

Put your hand in the cage and let him sniff it for a few minutes every day, he'll slowly learn that your hand is a safe place.
Put some food in your hand, he'll learn that your hand has food and is safe.

Petting won't be for a little while, my Daisy took months, my Sasha will allow slight petting (after about 3 weeks with her) and my Lucy won't allow any touching whatsoever (after 3 weeks). It depends on the chinchilla.
In a few weeks you could probably take him out of his cage and let him run around with you, but be careful, make sure he's ready. You'll know hes bonding with you when he'll sit on your hand and eventually come out to see you.

Bonding is worth it, soon enough pippin will be hopping on your shoulders, he'll be excited when you walk into the room and maybe he'll even accept scritches ^_^
I find that treats help the trust a bit ;) Some rosehips or cheerios will get your little buddy to be more friendly, but don't overdo it! He could get fat, and eventually get problems with too many treats.

As for food, make sure he has lots of food all the time. Chinchillas eat a little bit at a time and should always have fresh food. Don't throw out the old food unless hes peeing/pooping in it, or if its a few days old.

Oh! Does he have a hidey house? Any kind of place he can hide would be good. He might not use it, but he'll be more comfortable knowing he can hide if he needs to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! Pippin does have a hidey house, he's in there right now! I just went through this awful thing with him. I tried taking him out of his cage so that I could clean it but he escaped and it took hours for me to get him back in his cage.. I am sure that he's terrified now. Poor thing. He'll probably be scared for me for a while now.

It will take him some time to get used to you. Just be patient with him, keep talking to him and spending time with him and he'll come around.

He should have fresh food and hay every day. After you've had him for a while, you'll be able to figure out how much he eats so you can get more of an idea as to how much to feed him so it isn't being wasted. My guys get fresh pellets and hay every morning and night.

Oh yeah, cage cleaning is awful with a new chinchilla lol! I have to cram my babies into a little carrier to change their cage. I use a cheap dog carrier, here's my oldest, Daisy, modeling it:

52B9B6FD.jpg

If he's not ready for a cage cleaning, just leave it, it's more important that he doesn't get scared. If you do need to take him out, hold him with your hand over his eyes, it really calms them down.
I'm changing my babies' cage tonight, and I'll be putting the babies in a bathroom to play with my boyfriend to keep them busy =P

I am going through the same thing with my new boy. I got him Saturday and yesterday he started coming out of his cage a little on my lap and letting me pet him a tiny bit. I have been sitting beside his cage everyday since I got him and handing him pellets and hay through the outside of the cage. I can tell he is feeling a lot more comfortable now because he is walking around his cage and chewing on his toys now. I know how anxious you must be to get him out of his cage and pet and play with him (or I have been anyways with my new baby!)

Latest posts

Back