So, I'm Thinking I'm Crazy or Getting Over Zealous ...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiftyKat

Crazy Cat & Rodent Lady!
Well, I am very happy to say I have my first two chins picked out and will be able to pick them up the second weekend of April! I am waaaaaay excited!

However, I think I'm already wanting a third one .... I have found a breeder who sells Brown Velvets, and I reallllllly want one. The thing is, I've already heard too many horror stories about trying to bond three chins that I am much too scared to try it! :-/ The two chins I will be getting are well under a year and are already bonded at the breeders. If I got another chin they would all still be pretty young when I bonded them which I have heard is easier to do when they are younger. If I got a third, I would also like them to be able to live together, another reason why I'd want to bond them.

I'm pretty sure I'm crazy and already know the answer, but I still like to hear from people. :p Should I just be happy with what I have and know I want, or should I even think about possibly getting a third chin?!

I typically do find that it is easier to introduce chins when they're young. That said, we had a kit here awhile back that was 10 weeks old and bossing around other chins. Even put him with the chin that I'd consider the alpha male and the kit had the adult running. So age helps sometimes, but not always.

I have successfully intro'd a third chin to a pair several times... I've also had it not work several times. It really depends on the individual chins. I have one chin who is so mellow he'd get along with anything. Other chins so... against company... that they attack cuddlebuddies, forget live chins. Without seeing either of these chins in the company of another, you'd never guess which one was the mellow one and which was the attack-chin. It literally comes down to the individual chins in question. No one can predict if chins are going to get along, ahead of time. Even with my mellow chin -- he may get along with everyone -- but they don't always get along with him.

I think what you'd need to think about is that if you want to get a third chin, you would need another cage. Not just in case they didn't get along, but also because you'd need to quarantine the third chin apart from the first two for a month after you get it home. After that, you could try to introduce them, but you never know if it will or will not work out.

I always tell adoptive homes that if they're not comfortable with the thought that they may always have two cages... they shouldn't add to the chin family. Just something to think about.

Also, there's always the possibility that adding a third chin will disrupt a current pair, making none of the three get along. Then you'd end up with three cages.

All those things is what is making me question whether to get a third chin or not :-/ I really do not want to break the bond between the two I will be getting. Plus, the only way I can really seperate them is to use the add-on addition to the ferret nation and seperate them per level. I always just fear and assume the worst would happen! :(

Honestly? I would wait until you have 2 chins and are settled in with them before bringing another into the family. Any new animal is going to take an adjustment period. It would probably be less stressful for you and them. See how it goes, see if you like them. Believe it or not, some people have issues with the hay, poo on the floor, getting an AC unit and similar issues that interfere with enjoying their new pet.

Also, I have had to separate 2 trios because they fought- and these were pretty young chins...

It is so easy to get carried away with chins- they are adorable and soft and come in tons of gorgeous colors. It's good to know what you are getting into before you stock up on them...

Have fun with your new buddies. Good luck with them. :)

Oh yes, it would be a little bit before I even thought about getting the third. I've had rodents before in the same location I am putting the chins, so luckily the room is already all set up for rodents. I just had to get the right cage and everything for the chins!

I have more of a problem with my cats throw up on the floor than the rodent poo. :p

It is so easy to get carried away with chins- they are adorable and soft and come in tons of gorgeous colors. It's good to know what you are getting into before you stock up on them...

This made me giggle because if money (and my husband's allergies) were no object, I would have a whole collection of chins by now! But luckily I know my limitations, so I am happy with my little Luna-bug. :chin1:

Lol, I sometimes think about pushing the bondaries ... but eventually come to my senses. :p I just need to get a house and then I could have a whole room full!

Latest posts

Back