so i have some bad luck

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
As most of you know I just got my french bulldog puppy Sunday night. We noticed when we brought her home that her hair wasnt filled in as much behind her ears, so we were worried about demodex mange. Well I also was given a pamplet showing her shot records when I got her also. When I went to the vet, which happens to be the same vet they use. The assistant told me that is not a pamplet from that vet , that she most likely bought the shots from a feed store and did them herself. So I was recommended to give all her puppy shots again because there was no proof they were given nor was there any proof if they were given that they were handled properly...

So anyways, I went to the vet Tuesday within my 72 hour check up period and got her looked at. I wasnt aware until she came in that it was the new vet, not my normal vet. She looked her over and said she was fine and had a clean bill of health.

I noticed yesterday that she continued to keep itching her ears. So last night I noticed how dirty one of her ears were, so my mother and I got some frontline spray and wet a q tip and cleaned it a little...Her ear was so raw that I felt horrible and we stopped. I also noticed that she kept licking her vagina ALOT! So this morning I called my vets office and the vet I use happened to pick up, he told me to bring her back in.

He looked in her ear for 2 seconds and noticed she had ear mites!!!!!!!this is also just so great considering we have 6 boxers inside that have been around her and im sure that womans dogs all probably have ear mites. She also has an inset vulva, i think he called it. Says that it causes urine to get trapped in the folds of the skin and becomes irritated. He gave me some ointment and said if it didnt clear up that there was a procedure where they just cut off some of the extra skin to eliminate the inset issue. ( Didnt know they did that until today lol )

So needless to say, I called the lady back I got her from and didnt get an answer so I wrote her an email and im waiting on a reply. My issue is technically she was not diagnosed unhealthy until AFTER 72 hours even though she was misdiagnosed withing the 72 hour period and I have a feeling that will be thrown in my face pretty quick... On top that being aggrevated with the puppy shot issue.

I also am still waiting on her papers to come in. She has limited registration but Id still like to have her registered because we didnt pay $1000 for a dog with no papers. lol...The lady told me she still had not recieved the papers yet that she would send them to me when she got them in.

So thats my HUGE rant for the day lol!!!!
Sorry

here is bailey though! I love her!!!!
IMAG2611.jpg

She sure sounds like a wishy washy breeder, correction BREADER! Sorry but the puppies should have had a puppy wellness check up AT her vet's office. They would have picked up at least the ear mites, if not the other issue!
If she is a quality breeder, I'd think she would see that as a defect, and issue refund, puppy replacement, or offer some compensation for the surgery. The ear mites, that's inexcusable! You noticed the problem, and you've only had her 3 days? She had them 8+ weeks. You might want to check and see if they have ever been wormed too!

She sure sounds like a wishy washy breeder, correction BREADER! Sorry but the puppies should have had a puppy wellness check up AT her vet's office. They would have picked up at least the ear mites, if not the other issue!
If she is a quality breeder, I'd think she would see that as a defect, and issue refund, puppy replacement, or offer some compensation for the surgery. The ear mites, that's inexcusable! You noticed the problem, and you've only had her 3 days? She had them 8+ weeks. You might want to check and see if they have ever been wormed too!

exactly! if i had known that she didnt bring the puppy to get a check up at her vet I would have not even bought the puppy!!!! I was under the assumption that she was brought to the vet and given her puppy shots and was healthy!

I dont want a puppy replacement because I love Bailey and Im already really attached to her but I think some sort of something should be done as far as refunding me some money. I forked out alot of extra money that shouldnt have been forked out because she was not physically healthy or fit. Bailey was actually born August 15th so all of this stuff should have been noticed when the woman had her!

She also has an inset vulva, i think he called it. Says that it causes urine to get trapped in the folds of the skin and becomes irritated. He gave me some ointment and said if it didnt clear up that there was a procedure where they just cut off some of the extra skin to eliminate the inset issue. ( Didnt know they did that until today lol )

Another thing you can try in order to avoid surgery is to let her go through her first heat. If the vulva doesn't descend a bit more with that then the surgery would be necessary. But most of the time the vulva will descend with the first heat and then you can spay her and everything should be fine!
(I'm loving Therio - it's all so interesting!)

Sorry you are having so many problems with you're new family member! She is a cutie though!

my only concern with that is that my vet had said they heard that its now better to spay them before a heat ever occurs. None the less i also have to get her front two dew claws removed when she goes under for her spay( they were not taken off as a puppy and she has already gotten them caught 2 times since we had her), she also has a large white mole or growth on her mouth that needs to be taken off. On top of that one of her dew claws has a growth on it.

So she is suppose to get all of these things taken care of as soon as we spay her.I am waiting till we get her last puppy shots to get her done because we buy the spay vouchers from the SPCA but we can choose what vet we want, so I have to get her voucher as soon as she gets her last set of shots in a few weeks. I dont wanna chance her catching parvo while she is at the vet. So my vet said that he will do all of the other things when we spay her.

Another thing you can try in order to avoid surgery is to let her go through her first heat. If the vulva doesn't descend a bit more with that then the surgery would be necessary. But most of the time the vulva will descend with the first heat and then you can spay her and everything should be fine!
(I'm loving Therio - it's all so interesting!)

Sorry you are having so many problems with you're new family member! She is a cutie though!

We have gone over this quite a bit in vet school. Whether to spay young, before first heat, or after first heat. There are pros and cons to each option, none are without fault. I would do some research for yourself and see what you are comfortable with doing. If you need some help finding research, I should be able to access some good peer-reviewed articles fairly quickly.

I used to be a "spay them the minute they are old enough" person but now realize there are many reasons to do it differently, and as long as I help my clients make informed decisions, I am fine with spaying at any time. There really isn't a huge difference between spaying before first heat or after first heat. (I only spayed my dogs early because I didn't want to deal with dripping and possible behavior changes) As long as you spay earlier in the dogs life than later, you will still have many benefits!

my only concern with that is that my vet had said they heard that its now better to spay them before a heat ever occurs. None the less i also have to get her front two dew claws removed when she goes under for her spay( they were not taken off as a puppy and she has already gotten them caught 2 times since we had her), she also has a large white mole or growth on her mouth that needs to be taken off. On top of that one of her dew claws has a growth on it.

So she is suppose to get all of these things taken care of as soon as we spay her.I am waiting till we get her last puppy shots to get her done because we buy the spay vouchers from the SPCA but we can choose what vet we want, so I have to get her voucher as soon as she gets her last set of shots in a few weeks. I dont wanna chance her catching parvo while she is at the vet. So my vet said that he will do all of the other things when we spay her.

Sorry you are going through that. I've dealt with unscrupulous dog breeders before too. I would not count on getting those papers from her.

Sounds like you got duped by a back-yard breeder :( My mom has a Bulldog (English) that came from a Westminster breeder...he was $3,500 and even with VERY careful breeding, he still needed nare widening surgery because he couldn't breathe properly (his face is too smooshy). Be aware that bulldog/brachy breeds are very illness/health-problem prone. You will likely be dealing with problems with her both due to the BYB issue and the brachy breed issue. She is a cutie though, congrats!

yea i knew about the issues with the breed.

The woman returned my call last night and basically tried to tell me she didnt have ear mites when I got her. That she checked there ears all the time. Also that my vet was just money hungry and doing whatever he could to get extra cash....( Who happens to be her vet also???????)

She also told me "I havent checked my mail in a week Im sorry" when I asked her about Baileys papers...So once I get my papers from her, its hitting the fan after that. She didnt even offer to compensate anything that I told her about.

She had an excuse for it all. So once that is settled I will let my vet know what she was saying about him and I am also going to inform him of her bogus health guarantee!!!!! I kind of bit my tongue last night on the phone with her because I am still waiting on papers, if it werent for that, I probably would have let loose...if I dont see Baileys papers in the next month, I will be demanding money back and if I dont get any back I will be taking her to court for falsly selling me a puppy with papers.

check your state laws. Here in jersey you have 2 weeks for any condition and 6 months for a congenital condition. The vulva is a congenital condition since she was born with it. Regardless of the breeders own health guarantee there should be a state law, here's it's called the puppy lemon law, not kidding. So look into that, get an unfit for sale letter from your vet. Good luck with everything, it could be worse though, ear mites are relatively easy if you finish out the treatment and the vulva is treatable unlike some conditions puppies are born with. The vulva won't kill her just cause some urinary tract infections until treated, it's better than a liver shunt or heart condition.

O ,
I have thought about that. All the things that are wrong are not anything that would cause serious issues with her, but its the principle....

I love her and would NOT trade her in for another puppy even if they offered. She is my baby!!!

Just be aware if you choose the court route it may come down to either returning her to breeder for refund or sucking up the loss and keeping her.Unfortunately animals are treated as property and court decisions often do not allow compensation to buyer unless pet is returned to breeder.:hair:

Mercy is correct.

Make sure if you do take them to court (Small Claims or otherwise), that you specify that you want compensation for medical care, etc. and not a refund/trade for the dog. VERY important how you word your case.

Latest posts

Back