Snuggle safe warning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Hooked on Hogs
I have also posted this in the hedgie section because these are very commonly used with hedgehogs. I thought I'd also post here to catch those that use them for other animals or people.

The following was posted on HHC about a snuggle safe incident.

http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8598&p=72892#p72892

This is the second one I have heard of so any of you who use snuggle safes, be careful.

Gosh... sounds like the OP may have heated it for longer than it should. Eight minutes is only for 600-650 watt microwaves; not a "max time" for all circumstances. And the comment about using the "max time" if it's not already warm leads me to believe the user typically did not wait until it was completely cooled before re-heating... failure to wait is a giant no-no. Wonder if that puts the product at-risk for future malfunctions - like, it's okay this time... but no telling next time (even if you use it "right" the next time)?

Either way (ie, user error or product malfunction) those are some pretty scary consequences!

I'll use this as a reminder to definitely NOT take a chance and re-heat if it's even slightly warm. And I have debated that before... fortunately, have consistently erred on the side of not reheating.

I was also thinking 8 minutes was an awful long time for the newer, more powerful microwaves. I do know of a couple of vets offices that use this product to warm up pets after surgery. It's doubtful many read the instructions carefully to know that you should wait for it to be completely cooled before reheating. Pretty scary stuff.

Back