Snow Storm

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper19

Mommy of four chins <3
Hi All! So if you haven't heard, the east coast is getting pounded with another snow storm only this time Maryland is getting it as well with ice included with it. I have four chins (2 CN cages) and I'm super worried about the power going out since it's about 18 degrees Fahrenheit here right now. My biggest problem is obviously no electric means no heat, it's way to cold for them here without heat. Any suggestions on what I could do? I have already started to look into heaters but, since the storm hits tomorrow... I have to find one in stores. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. They are in an upstairs room so it will be warmer than downstairs but, not much. Thanks!

Unless your house is going to drop to less than 45 degrees, I wouldn't panic. Less than 45 and I would be concerned, although I have heard some people say even 40 isn't "too bad." I know at 49-50 degrees my chins are up running and playing. They love it.

About the only thing you can get for if the power goes out is a kerosene heater. We had to live with those back a few years when we had a storm that took out power for two weeks and knocked down 15,000 electric poles. It was not fun. The other option is a generator, but they aren't cheap.

Thank you, I'm not sure how low the temperature in the house will go, we are looking into a kerosene heater right now. Hopefully we can get one that way I won't be so worried.

Just be sure if you use one you have a good way to vent the area. They stink and they gave us all headaches if we didn't have good air flow.

If the house is insulated fairly well it will take many days to drop below freezing and that would not even bother the chins except for their water freezing. It will be far harder on you than it will be on them.

Just found out that we are borrowing a Kerosene heater! This will work great because it will be downstairs and the heat will rise upstairs to the chin room. Thanks for the input! I will stop freaking out now! Lol :)

Back