Sneezing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

Have any of your chins when resting or half asleep ever making a small, quiet squeak?...it almost sounds like one of those person who has that high pitched squeaky short sneeze.

Is this something to concerned about or is this just another chin sound?
I've only heard it in the past week or so.

Is your chin doing it repeatedly or just once or twice? Sneezing can be a sign of respiratory issues, but can also just happen randomly, especially if it's just had a bath. For our boys, it's usually pretty easy to tell if it's a sneeze vs. a squeak.

Since she has just started hearing it, I would tend to guess it is not normal dust bath sneezing. I also think that when someone has a bad feeling, they should usually bring the chin to the vet. Instinct can be amazing IMO. I have never regretted bringing an animal to the vet, but have regretted not bringing them in quick enough, at the first sign of illness.

You need to see how often this is happening. Can you hold the chin to your ear and listen to it's breathing? Does it sound like wheezing? If yes or if there is any signs of mucuous coming from the nose you need to go to the vet as this is an upper respiratory infection which could turn to pnuemonia. Chins with an UPI need antiobiotics to clear the infection. I totall agree with Chantel and if somethings just doesn't seem right then a trip to the vet is never a waste of time.

I said it sounds like sneezing or maybe a small squeak and I have only heard it four times. I do not even know if chins sneeze that's why I'm asking.

I see no evidence of mucus or a cold. He seems fine. I'll check more closely when he wakes but he doesn't really let us hold him long.

I have chins that do that. It's almost like that loud wheezy sound they make (the bark) but much quieter. It's almost like when someone talks in their sleep.

The other advice is good. Watch for discharge from the nose or mouth, wheezing, and repetitive sneezing.

Back