Sneezing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

Hi everybody,
Just a quick question,

Is it normal for chinchillas to sneeze when given their dust baths?

Ive had carl for about 3 years now and it seems like as of late hes sneezing when bathing so i dont know if im giving him too much dust or maybe hes always done it and i've just noticed it now.

Anybody elses chinnies do it? :)

Update: I actually just found a thread that was asking this same question so now that i realize its normal, i have another one. If carl were to start sneezing a lot, what do i check to make sure hes okay? Will i see signs that hes sick?

He's healthy as of now but i always like knowing what to look for in a sick chinchilla.

Last edited:
My girls will sneeze right after bath time. It never lasts long. If your chinnie continues to sneeze check for illness.

Any excessive sneezing (like dozens of times a day) ought to be investigated by a vet. Sneezing in a dust bath is pretty common though!
Other respiratory danger signs to watch for are mucus/wet runny nose and wheezing or any unusual breathing.
Also, as weight loss is often a first indicator of illness, it is a good idea to weigh your chins weekly and keep a record to track any losses/gains. Repeated losses would warrant a visit to the vet for a general check up.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! I do believe it's his dust. He dosent normally sneeze a lot out of a dust bath just when he's in it. I'll be keeping an eye on him though for awhile just to make sure. So far no signs of sickness though :)

Latest posts

Back