Sneezing until it hurts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma

To the point: my female is active, weight is on point, and she is eating fine.

She is getting into these sneezing fits (every 10mins) for the last 5 hours.

Sneezing as in air puffing out - but she is shrieking with every fit - obviously distressed.

Noticed behavior is that she is hunched over and the sneezes are like contractions. I can't tell if she is coughing.

Regardless we are taking to the vet first thing in the morning, but is there anything I should do RIGHT NOW / or help?

I've been searching for anything related and can't decipher if I'm simply being paranoid over a sneeze. Everything in her cage is normal - no changes.

Thank you in advance.

Update : she's laying down now, the puffing is a lot like sneezing just her crying is killing me, we have to wait until 7 am tomorrow... She's non-stop squeaking and randomly barking.

Anyone have similar symptoms?

She has no other symptoms no draft, no discharge I'm so upset I can't figure this out.

Are you able to pick her up? Maybe burrito her and wipe her nose with a damp towel, she could have inhaled some dust? I hope she is doing better by now :/

Whimpering with light sneezing.. Not as severe but it's her witching hour so she's busy eating... I think I'm crying more now and her cagemate is barking in annoyance.

Reading archives I've read similar symptoms being suggested as URIs but nothing was confirmed. I'll wipe her nose, I just can't see a URI happening.. And if it were possible...happen so fast.

If she's eating, that's good! It can happen quickly, look at us humans. But she will be at the vet soon so please try not to worry so much. I know it's easier said than done.

URIs can actually happen very quickly, or at least appear to. Chins being prey animals tend to hide their symptoms until they are very sick. A vet visit is definitely in order.

We were denied as walk ins due to my exotic vet no longer residing, to learn my back up vet is gone too.

Me & the chin are scheduled at a hospital 45 mins out at 3
Do I take her cagemate with me? I feel like she's been exposed to the URI... If I can try to get her checked out/help this process be less stressful on her sister?

If not intended to be sarcastic, Ticklechin, no I did only bring the one.

The diagnosis... Hiccups, and inflammatory meds incase she had something caught in her throat and irritated it.

This was a win, no sick chins over here.

Sarcastic? No, its true, if you have cage mates and one goes and one does not, the one left behind can get angry at the one who went and they can fight, vet cooties, because they stink like the vet. I have had many malo chins who needed to be filed on a monthy basis, to prevent fights they both went.

Sarcastic? No, its true, if you have cage mates and one goes and one does not, the one left behind can get angry at the one who went and they can fight, vet cooties, because they stink like the vet. I have had many malo chins who needed to be filed on a monthy basis, to prevent fights they both went.

I think she got the impression that one or both would catch something AT the vet (cooties=bug?).

Oh okay, now I understand.. Thank you. Her cagemate hinted alittle jealousy but I think she was concerned for Gem as well. Plus she's quite aggressive and Gem is very vocal... If Gemma whines or barks Alea (cagemate) goes in attack mode.

I wanted to ask, should I be concerned the vet didn't try to check out her back teeth?

If she is eating, then there probably is nothing wrong wrong with her teeth. I would not worry about that. I see a red flag here, though. Keep a close eye on their interactions with each other. If one is attacking the other when she barks, they could end up seriously injuring or even killing one another.

That might actually answer my question, I caught Pedro, my heart-condition chinchilla, making weird noises yesterday. he seemed like he was coughing, and barking oddly, stretching his neck when he barks. So this morning, I called the vet and was able to go today at 1:30pm. But before I went, I took this video since Pedro seemed to only be doing this on his toilet or when sleeping in his fleece tube (in case he didn't do it in front of the vet)
http://youtu.be/jhRnrLC8SoQ

Is it what your chin was doing? If so my vet told me his general condition was fine and that he was very alert so probably not sick. However, she told me that, since the weather changes a lot recently, it could be some kind of sore throat, but yeah, maybe dust or something, so I got medication for him to see if it'll help. It's an anti-inflammatory stuff that I give orally (he doesn't seem to like it...burrito time ahead!) but yeah, I was looking for advice and help, so asking here since if that's what your buddy has, we can both benefit the help!

Last edited:
Back