Smelly fleece liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

My fleece liners smell horrible. I now change the liners all the time to try to avoid the smell from getting any worse, but the damage has been done. I know there are sprays to get the urine smell out of fabrics, but do they work? What other ways can I get these liners smelling better?

When I use fleece I wash them in the wash machine with detergent and vinegar. I also use the 2nd rinse. Then when finish I put them in the dryer.

I use hot water soak for about 20-30 mins with regular bleach in the washer after it agitates a couple mins, and then a second wash with just laundry detergent (I use the free of dyes/perfumes kind).. I hate the smell of vinegar, and it only takes a little bleach to do a load. The first time I did this, I couldn't smell the pee anymore when they were dried.

Bleach and regular detergent is the only thing that works for me. I use about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of bleach for 6 liners. I also turn on the extra rinse and use hot water.

when i used fleece, i would let them soak in 50/50 vin/water for awhile before i washed them and it worked gerat.

I wash my fleece with baking soda and vinegar on the hot setting. Never had a problem with smell or staining.

laundry detergent and lysol concentrate, it's kinda hard to find though but a capful of that does a good job, it says on the bottle it can be used on laundry. Also second rinse. You could probably even try a scented fabric softener but I haven't had to.

I've always found that soaking in HOT water with detergent and a cup of white vinegar before waching gets all the smells out. Natur's Mirical does make a laudry addative but it's $$$ and no better than vinegar. most sprays are for cleaning cages, not the fleece linings.

i soak fleece in a bucket with a bit of scent/dye free laundry soap and hot water before tossing in the washer on regular cycle, warm wash, warm rinse. then i toss them in the dryer on regular/perma press with a couple of bounce sheets (very dry up here, if i don't use bounce, fleece is static city!). with communal pay per use apartment laundry machines, i don't get a lot of options when it comes to pre-soaking in the machine, or different cycles like extra rinse. ugh.

Latest posts

Back