Smallest Adult Chinchilla You've Ever Owned???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

I know adult chin weights can vary widely, I see it just with my four. Dani just turned five months old and already weighs more than Scully who will be two next month! Dani is 499g and Scully is 432g. Scully has always been small, but she's still really round. Her cagemates just turned two in June and they are 707g and 716g. Scully looks like a baby that just never grew up. So I was wondering, what is the smallest adult (non-dwarf) chin that you have ever owned?

what is the smallest adult (non-dwarf) chin that you have ever owned?
I was shipped a tan male from a prominent rancher that was two years old and 405g at his heaviest. In breeding (yea, I did, what else was I going to do with a $300 "extra dark tan"?) he averaged 380g. There is a picture of him on my website here.

It took three generations but I did get some decent offspring out of that line. When that happened 12 years ago there was no internet group to find people to get chinchillas from. You just got a rancher's name out of a magazine, sent them a ton of money and hoped you got something you could use. :))

Skooter was 396gms at approx 4 years old, no health issues, just a long pointy skinny looking chin with bad fur.

Wow 396 is tiny! Scully is short and fat but still just so much smaller than her "sisters". Oddly enough she eats the most out of everyone!

Rocky is 9 years old and is under 500 gms. She is a rescue and underweight, but other than her weight she seems healthy. I've got her on a good diet and she loves alfalfa hay, but I haven't seen much of weight gain in the 5 months I've had her...tho she was quite sick for a few weeks and actually lost weight.
I never knew there were dwarf chinchillas. Is the difference simply the size?
(BTW, my other two are double Rocky's size. 900 gms and about 850. Maybe we can have a biggest chinchilla survey next?)

both my boys hover in the low to mid 500 gram range. Rhino sits around 520/525 most of the time and Guss is normally 515/520 or so. both rescues, with unknown backgrounds for the most part. i have yet to see a chubby chunky chin in person, but i'm sure once i do, my boys will seem tiny in comparison, even though they are healthy and eat a ton.

Latest posts

Back