Smaller wheel with younger chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocochin

Momma to Ganache :D
So my Dad just brought me a present for my little chin Ganache. I had mentioned wanting a wheel when I get his new cage in a few months but he got ahead of me and bought one already. It's plastic, so it won't go in his cage, but it's pretty sturdy and 13 inches. Question is, should I have it around during play time and let him run a little if he wants? He's not full grown yet so I figured he could have it for a couple months before I get a good Chin Spin for his new CN (yay Christmas!). Good idea or should I even bother?

Chinchillas shouldn't have a wheel until they are at LEAST 6 months old. His playtime should also be limited to 15 minutes until 6 months. If the time without a wheel was extended a bit I'm sure that would be fine.

It's better to have a fat chinchilla because he had no wheel than to have one with an impaction from chewing the plastic of a wheel. And you sound like you really care, I'm sure he gets lots of love and a great llaytime without a wheel :)

Those plastic wheels do not hold up. Chinchillas can actually break them to the point that they cannot be fixed. Also, they have either a post that sticks out in the center or a not that does the same thing. both poke the chinchilla in the back or side. and are not very comfortable for the chinchilla. It would be best if you just waited for the good wheel before giving one to him.

I don't let chins under 6 mo. old have wheels at all, and when I do, they're a full 15" so they don't scrunch up their back and tail. It's the same rule with mice and rats; if they feel they have to carry their tail bent up over their back, the wheel is too small. If it were me, I'd save up for the Flying Saucer and not put it in until after his half birthday. :) He needs those first 6 mo. to use his calories for growing, and a flying saucer is not what I'd call "cheap".

Okay thanks for the advice! I'll just leave it out, which is what I figured since it is smaller and plastic and whatnot. Good to know about him not being old enough anyhow!
I could've sworn I told my Dad all about how chins need special wheels and things but he just said "well at the pet store it had a picture of a chinchilla on it, so it should work", which all good chin owners know is probably a trap! Oh well then, better safe than sorry :)

You should be able to return it if its unused, so I'd return it and get him some wood toys or something.

Back