Small, hard poops...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalH

Yesterday, I discovered small, dried, poops. really tiny. like less than a fourth of his normal size and I freaked out and brought him to vet. he seemed to be reluctant for treats and not as bouncy as he usually is but perked up in the vets office (stimuli from new places/sounds i suspected). I don't know if the vet has extensive knowledge on chinchillas...it was late and i took him to the only place open. they gave me metaclopramide and i gave it to him 2x since, with 12 hours between. (.6 ml each time). the vet is trying to offset gi stasis if he has it.

when he got home he was pretty energetic because i cleaned his cage. he nibbled some hay and ate some food (not a lot). drank some water. all seemed fine.

now, he's resting. but his poop is still the same. he keeps chewing on something in his mouth (he ground his teeth all night) and keeps on pawing and scratching at jaw area. he isn't eating. both times i tried to coax him to eat some oats, he ate them but started pawing at his mouth again. is this a dental problem? does anybody have experience with these symptoms.

i'm hoping to bring him to a vet who is more knowledgeable.

out of curiosity, does anybody know any vet near the kern county, san joaquin area who has extensive knowledge, experience with chins? i searched for some on the internet and in the bakersfield area, Dr. Singh Mahal at All Critters Pet Hospital, notes expertise...but i'm not so sure. i wish i were back in davis. but it's too far to drive right now...

Last edited:
Back