Slowing Down The Amount She Poops

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with a chin slowing down their amount of pooping? My almost 13 year old has recently decreased how much she was pooping. She isn't pooping overnight much anymore at all. She is still pooping just fine midday and up until the evening. I started giving her some critical care to hopefully help increase the pooping. Seemed to help some, but I took her to the vet and they weren't too sure. They gave me some metacam and I have been giving her gas drops as well. She was eating a bit less, but has starting eating some hay and pellets better now. The vet said the next thing to do would be to put her under and check her teeth (she saw 3 out 4 and didn't see any problems, she had food over the 4th) and also do an x-ray of the tummy. She said she didn't feel any gas in her tummy or anything unusual and her weight is good, 820 grams. I don't want to put her under if I don't have to. Wasn't sure if anyone else has had a chin that has done something like this?
Thanks

When my 17 year old hit the age of 10 he needed 10ml of CC a day to stay regular. Keep close eye on the weight, teeth issues show up first at slow gradual weight loss.

Hi,

I have been giving her the Essentials for Life for the past year every morning, about 1/4 teaspoon because her poops were getting small and less often. It helped up until now. I still give it to her along with the critical care. She willingly eats the EFL, but not the CC. I have been feeding her four times a day, but I am unsure of how to read these syringes. The EFL she eats from a spoon, I have been giving her 1/2-1 teaspoon (dry) mixed with water 3 times a day and about a syringe and a half or so of cc once a day. She gets Oxbow pellets, but thought about trying Mazuri to see if that helps. She is up 20 grams since last year this time, so that is good. A couple summers ago, she went through a lot where I had to feed her for almost 2 months and eventually she bounced back. Maybe she doesn't like the summer? I am concerned about her, of course, I just don't know how far in regards to tests, etc I need to do at this point. Thank you for your post, maybe she just needs some increased CC to keep regular as well. I have been weighing her daily as well.

Are you using 10ml syringes? How much total is she getting by syringe a day? What I am getting at is syringe fed chins who are fed enough that they slow down eating their pellets can develop overgrown teeth over time-teeth grow 1-3mm and sometimes more a week, they need to be ground down by eating pellets and hay, when that does not happen the crowns overgrow and may or may not exibit malo symptoms until the condition is advanced.

Both syringes are Monoject. One says 412 on it and the other has 6 ML on it. I have only been feeding her the larger amounts for less than a week. For the last year, it was only a very small amount in the mornings. She had been eating her hay and pellets fine up until recently she slowed a bit. I gave her alfalfa cubes, which she seemed to enjoy. When I give her the EFL I measure it dry and then mix it with water and she prefers to eat if from a spoon. Sometimes she would eat 1 1/2-2 of the 6ML once a day with cc.
Since last Tuesday she has been getting the 1 1/1-2 6ML syringes of cc and then probably about 3 teaspoons of EFL mixed with water. I try to keep feeding her until she stops eating.

10ml wont fill her up at all, stay around that amount and the teeth wont be bothered, I would just keep a eye on the weight, watch the shape of the poo-small is ok for the most part as long as there is a normal amount and the shape is normal and the weight is normal.

Back