slow to react

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narcissus

one of my chins has a very interesting behavior, she is very slow at waking up. I've only had her about 6 months and honesty it scares me to death. I'll see her lying on the floor of the cage completely on her side, as if she were dead. I say her name loudly.... she doesnt move. I open her cage door...nothing. touch her...nothing. pick her up....she is completly limp, then all of a sudden...she is awake. everything else is normal, eats good, drink plenty of water, loves her hay and occasional cherrio. poops lots, size good. ive her that whites can be kind of "crazy".... but, has anyone else had this dilema? it happens frequently, but not every time she is asleep.... she about gives me a heart attack everytime! ive decided to call her Spook because of it.

Is it just at random, or is it only after play time or running on the wheel? Could she be overheating at all? My Zoidberg did this to me twice in his life. The first time was not long after he came to live with us, we had let him out to play and he was a bit over weight and overheated. The second was when my roommate let the chins out to play for much too long and he ran until he overheated. The first time he was only like that for a few seconds, but the second time we were pretty much packed up and ready to drive the hour to the e-vet when he woke up. He checked out fine at the regular vet the next day. It definitely a scary thing when you can't get them to wake up!

it is completely random. she doesn't have a wheel in her cage and play time is very restricted for her, when she came to me she only weighed 450g, and was skin and bones. she is now 649g. she isnt pregnant, ive had her six months, so I know weight gain is not from pregnancy. I have her quite restricted in order for her to gain weight and return to good health. my chin room is kept at 65 degrees so heat shouldnt be a problem. it is just very strange.

Last edited:
If it's not heat related, I would be concerned,although maybe she is just a very deep sleeper. I think it's rare for chins to be deep sleepers though, due to being prey animals. I hope you figure it out :?

My female white wilson is a deep sleeper and most of the time won't wake up when I'm shouting her name, clapping, etc.. It takes a bit, but she'll peer over at me eventually. I actually thought she was deaf at one point because of it. I don't have an answer for you, as I'm not an expert, but I just wanted to share that in case it would help any at all since it was a little similar. I would ask a vet that specializes in chins though.

Latest posts

Back