Sleeping on his side?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tman1005

Today when I saw Charlie (my chin) sleeping, he was sleeping on his side. I woke him up to make sure he was ok, and he was fine, but should I be concerned about this?

nope, some chins like to sleep on their side. But I have to admit, the first time I saw Tink on her side, feet sticking out of her hidey house, I thought she was dead! She gave me quite the scare. But I have since learned that this is normal, and I will catch her periodically sleeping on her side, and then I run for the camera!

Don't worry! Most chins sleep by their side. Even with comfortable temperate my chins always lie on their side. And it always scares me because some of their posture are really scary! Unless if you spot red veins on their ears, which means it is getting very hot for them!

As long as you observe them and make sure they are eating, pooping and drinking well. They should be fine! :)

The first time I saw Flea sprawled out on his side, I freaked out because it was a little warm in the room, but when I tapped on his cage his jumped up and came over just fine. Now I see him laying out all the time, more when it is a little warm in the room, or when he is waiting on me to go to bed. I just consider it his lounging position like a recliner for me.

not only do several of mine sleep all the time on their sides but I have a few that sleep soundly on their sides with their eyes open. I have to 'poke' them several times to make sure they are ok. Then they look at me as if to say 'what is the matter with you - can't you see I am sleeping'

Scrabble does that as well!

I thought there was something wrong as well, but she seems to prefer sleeping on her side!

Emma

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 29
I have one that sleeps on her side and does not wake no matter how many times i poke her or call her name...she only wakes up when I call my oldest son into see of he can get her to wake up...one of these days I will surely have a heart attack!

Shelly sleeps on her side all the time. If she is not on her side then she has folded herself in half in the tube. She's an odd one.

I think that it shows that they are feeling very safe and secure in their environment, like they can let their guard down.:thumbsup:

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I spotted my chin sleeping on his side for the first time on Saturday and by god did he scare me. I am new to keeping chinchillas and only have him since late last year. I was speaking to a vetinary nurse and she was saying they lose heat through their belly so that is why they do it.

Does anyone have a tile in their cage for them to cool down on?

I am fostering my sister's chinchilla with some behavior problems. Chong sleeps on his side all of the time, often with his eyes wide open! And trust me - the first time, it scared me. I tapped on his cage and he perked right up.

My chinchilla, Cheech, on the other hand, never sleeps on his side! I guess it depends on the chinchilla and how they feel comfortable!

Oh, and both chinchillas have a marble slab in their cages to "cool off" with.

Latest posts

Back