Sleeping in the litter box

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gingerred

So my fire alarm went off last night for no reason, and when I went to check on Winston to see if it had scared him (~2:30am), he was curled up napping in his litter box. I've got a corner plastic box, I think it's often used for ferrets, etc. with Yesterday's news in it. He used to use the littler box when he was a baby, but now just uses his wheel. I've tried putting his poops in the litter box, but he doesn't seem to care, and will cuddle up in there anyway. Being that he is on antibiotics for an UTI, I'm wondering if this may have been part of how he got it. He sleeps in his Pigloo all day. Any suggestions on how to keep him from sleeping in the litter box??

Kendra

I had a couple thoughts, but... in all honesty... I think I've been beaten into submission by my own hedgie.

At this point (since you've mentioned he used to use the litter box as intended, but hasn't for awhile and isn't getting the hint), I'd just re-orient my way to his thinking: wheel = litter box; corner litter box = sleeping area. Then go about making sure that the corner litter box really is a good setting for sleeping. You can change out the YN for fleece or a paper towel if you're concerned that the YN contributed to the UTI.

I had a couple thoughts, but... in all honesty... I think I've been beaten into submission by my own hedgie.

At this point (since you've mentioned he used to use the litter box as intended, but hasn't for awhile and isn't getting the hint), I'd just re-orient my way to his thinking: wheel = litter box; corner litter box = sleeping area. Then go about making sure that the corner litter box really is a good setting for sleeping. You can change out the YN for fleece or a paper towel if you're concerned that the YN contributed to the UTI.

Thanks for the post

Latest posts

Back