Sleeping a lot?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchilla63

Our rescue girl has always been somewhat withdrawn. She doesn't budge during the day, which I've chalked up to her having been in a noisy classroom and learning to sleep through anything.
But, since getting Candy and Gogo, I've realized that rescue girl really doesn't do much during the evening or morning hours, either. She must be moving around at night, because there's a poop trail and chewed sticks, hay strewn, etc. But she doesn't come over when I'm cleaning the cage or talking to her. The other two girls are far more alert and interested in what I'm doing. They run around the cage while I'm straightening up, try to escape, check out my hair, etc.
I've had rescue girl on and off since November, and full time only for two months. Does she just need time to settle in? Could she be depressed? I don't see any signs of sickness. She's eating, pooping normally, very happy when she comes out to run around.
She has a Chinchilla Townhouse with tons of shelves, toys, a wheel, good hay, food, chewies, and so on.
She's been very hostile in her limited exposure to the other girls, so I don't think getting her a friend is the answer. I'm not sure if this is just her personality or if I'm missing something.
(And yes, I am crazy about her and totally neurotic about her happiness, lol.)
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Lee

What was her situation that she was rescued from? Abused rescues can take years to recover and become "normal" chins again.

She was a classroom pet for her entire life. She had a tiny, rusty, wire cage that sat on the floor of the classroom. She was never given hay (too messy) or wood to chew. She was farmed out to students on holidays and summers and left alone in the classroom for weekends. Her only exercise was running around the classroom in the deathball. She used to run frantically in her wheel when she first started coming to us, I think that's what she would do when they locked up the classroom at night.
I don't know if it qualifies as abuse, or just severe neglect. I'm sure there are chins in worse situations, but this just about broke my heart. She is such a sweet little girl.

I think personally when any pet comes from a different environment many months may pass before coming out of a shell....to me classrooms and unstable living can be stressful to an animal...true you have had her since November but all this is new to her its good that she is now in a stable home with access to all things she should have... maybe she is more active at night feeling secure since its nice and quiet....my chin is sooooo active at night tearing up her cage toys lol during the day she just chills a lot ....and is very quiet...

How sad her life was... I can't understand why people get pets and tread them that way. My daughters teacher has chinchilla's as classroom pets, they seem to have it better than the rescue you took in, but still being stuck in the tiny cages, nothing close to chinchillas living envioments. I talked to my daughter teacher through the grape vines so to speak (she didn't wanted to hear it) and I had my daughter give her some of my books. All that happened before I even had chinchillas, but coming to this site to educate myself before getting such a delicate pet. My two chinchilla's don't move around at all during the day either. They are similar to yours. Had mine since December and I can see them getting more mellow. Give her time to change her habits after so many years. I also think, that they might have different personalties. Maybe some are more night owls than others. For instance take my husband and me, he is in bed by 10 and I stay up after midnight so I can play with the chins. ;) You did a good deed by taking her in!

Thanks, it's reassuring to hear your different stories. I'm going to be patient and hope she starts to accept that she's going to stay here and can trust us.
I'd never given much thought to classroom pets before this, but I've realized it doesn't teach our kids what I'd want them to learn about being a responsible pet owner. Chinchillas are particularly unsuited for classroom life. I didn't know anything about them before this year, either. I think a stuffed animal would make a great classroom pet, lol...maybe a chin buddy?

Just wanted to say, thank you for taking her in! Such a sad story, I'm glad she's in good hands now!

Like it's been said, it will take her a while to adjust to a new living situation. Give her time, she'll open up eventually :)

One of my friends was talking about getting a chinchilla for her second grade classroom, I talked her out of it. They are not good classroom pets. Not only are they not really safe for very small children to handle but they are at risk for a lot of illnesses in such an environment. Not to mention the risks that come with them being alone every night and weekend. A chinchilla spends most of its awake time at night. How will they ever notice any issues if it's always alone then? Also what about power outages and such overnight at the school? Some schools even turn off the heat and AC overnight to save electricity. Totally not chinchilla safe.

Very sad story - I'm glad she's in a good home now! It took our Thaddeus two months to get used to us and he came from a good home (albeit in a small cage).

Back