Sleep Schedule

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lirana

I know that chins are actually and crepuscular and not nocturnal, so is it normal for a chin to sleep during the night? Mochi sleeps most of the day with spurts of being awake here and there. She's awake most of the night (as far as I can tell), but she does take naps, sometimes for an hour or two. Typically around 10pm, which is right after cage cleaning/play time. I'm guessing all of the excitement just poops her out, so she needs a little nap to recover. I usually go to bed around midnight, at which time she seems super awake. Just checking to make sure that she should not actually be awake all night long.

It sounds like your chin is normal. Most chins will be awake at dawn and dusk and then spend the rest of the time alternating between napping and playing. This is perfectly normal. Unless you are doing something to keep them up, chinchillas will fall into a pattern that is normal for them.

Hooray! I was mostly concerned that her napping throughout the night was odd. Thanks for the replies. :D

Back